Stern Extension

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
Norway

Stern Extension

Post by Norway »

Hi

First of all, nice forum.

I just thought i should share a picture of my Telstar with extended stern. I bought it last summer. The last owner was not sure when it was extended, but probably sometime in the 90's. Can anyone see which model it is? According to the previous owner it was buildt in 1976, but I have no documentation.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_pH0zKUXViy8/S ... ar+381.JPG

Truls
Pat Ross

Stern Extension

Post by Pat Ross »

Welcome Truls,

You have a beautiful boat. I need a frontal and side photo for more detail to get a good view of roof line, but here is a document I think I got from the old forum site that may be helpful:

Telstar Model Years.JPG (62.81 KiB) Viewed 129 times

Any chance you can give details about rudder and tiller setup, kick-up...etc... plus photos?

Pat
Norway

Stern Extension

Post by Norway »

Tanks for the document Pat

I think it must be a mark 2, but i'm not sure.

I only have access to this photo at the moment:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_pH0zKUXViy8/S ... ar+375.JPG'

The rudder is just mounted on a rod going through a vertical casing/pipe inside the extended stern. It can not fold backwards and sticks about 4 ft under sea surface. The only thing I can adjust is the tiller angle.I'll post some more pictures of the boat and rudder set up when i get a chance. For now it's burried under 2 feet of snow. This winter never seems to end :roll:

The boat also have a inboard engine(Yanmar 2GMF), this sits just in front of the cockpit. I think this might be the reason why the stern was extended.

Truls
luigisante

Stern Extension

Post by luigisante »

I've been MIA for awhile. Man the pics from the stern extension are great. With all of the snow we have had on the East Coast this winter, I had to abandon the project for the winter. I'm hoping to get back to it sometime in March if the weather would cooperate.

Truls - my guess would be a Mark I on your boat. The Mark 2 made some subtle changes that I don't see. Your brackets look like Mark I's but I would need a better picture to be sure. The amas look like the original design, not later alterations. Your superstructure and cabin profile are identical to mine as well. If your boat was registered in 1976, it would have been right on the cusp and could have easily been from the end of the Mark I production run. Are your lower brackets in 3 parts? Do they go straight across when bolted together?

If you have any cabin shots, they should help, although Tony Smith was famous for making alterations in nearly every production boat.

Lou G.

BTW, in looking at your pics, the chainplates located outboard on the amas are clearly not standard. My mast stays come down to chainplates that are located right on the main hull. I have never seen them located outboard like that. Do you notice any flex from the ama brackets under sail?
JoeWalling

Stern Extension

Post by JoeWalling »

Its cold and horrible today so I'm going to take the opportunity to catch up on posting. I'm experimenting with different size photos to see which get through the 'gate'.

The two photos on this post show the final bottom part, before the 'lid' goes on. Jonathan has glassed in three pieces of aluminium so that the rudder pintels and the two backstay plates can be either bolted or tapped in. I'm going to have a V shaped sling made to meet the original backstay - which will be shortened probably. The sling will be terminated on one side with a block and tackle, exactly the same as Rod's Lapwing, so that the mast tension can be altered.

The new extension is immensely strong due to the number of layers of matting and is further strengthened by the three glassed in foam cheeks that you can see.

PS Welcome back Lou - I wondered where you had gone!

Joe
JoeWalling

Stern Extension

Post by JoeWalling »

These two photos were taken just before the lid was developed. You can see why I'm reluctant to hang anything on the transom, which looks really good in the 'flesh' and it was at this time when I first thought about a spade rudder.

You might see a slight wrinkle where the side meets the transom - this has since been ironed out.

Joe
JoeWalling

Stern Extension

Post by JoeWalling »

These three pictures show the development of the lid. Jonathan first winched on a sheet of MDF following the lines of the original transom. Then he cut and chamfered three lengths of timber to form the template for the lid-to-bottoem joining pieces. These were located using ordinary car filler compound.

Working from inside the new extension and with the help of his son Matt passing him materials he painted release agent, gelcoat and finally six layers of fibreglass mat to the underside of the lid.

He wanted to do it this laborious way to ensure that the lines of the new extension lid matched exactly the original and that the entire thing formed a monocoque, i.e. there is no join between the two parts - the lip is there just to match the original and to take eventually the continous rubber strip.

Joe
JoeWalling

Stern Extension

Post by JoeWalling »

Final picture for today shows the 'brave' decision to cut through the old transom. The photos shows it after the first rough cut - it has been tidied up since. The two flanges will be bolted through for extra security but it isn't necessary You'll remember from earlier posts than the join was ground out from the outside and layers of matting applied across the join and then made good. Just to check though, the plan is to raise the entire boat by the transom, using the yard's crane!

When this was cut through, we realised that there was now plenty of room for a large single berth in the new extension. You all know how cavernous the rear locker space is, so I'm going to make up two floors - one low down to create a bilge space and flat storage aree and one above it to create a bunk.
I'll lose some overall dry storage space so i plan - next year or so - do something similar with the wing deck space i.e., to create shelves on top of the hull voids. These shelves will be on the same level and continue along from the existing horizontal ledges which you can see when you open the hatches. The shelves will have hatches in them to access wet storage areas underneath and buoyancy bags.

Notice something missing in the photo? That horrible ledge which supported the removeable seat has gone. The seat itself has been beefed up to compensate - I'll post pictures of this and other pictures of the outside next time.

Joe
Pat Ross

Stern Extension

Post by Pat Ross »

I am envious, she is beautiful! 8-)

I had noticed how LAPWING had repainted after the extension. I thought that could be good way to hide small differences between the extension and the original stern joining area and yet is still unique and cool looking.

Lapwing Extension3.jpg (69.84 KiB) Viewed 116 times

What are your plans?

Trulls presents an ineresting issue about extesions. Evidently when the extension was done on his boat the Hull ID plate was removed and not replaced. It does no appear he has a HID plate. What will you be doing for your HID plate?

Pat
JoeWalling

Stern Extension

Post by JoeWalling »

Yes, I think its cool too, but my yard are not so keen. It is true that you absolutely cannot see any join and they and I are proud of that. I'm actually in the laborious process of rubbing down the entire boat, in prep for repainting. I don't think it will be until I have done this, or at least applied the antifouling, that I will get an eye for the boat's new proportions. At that time, I may, or may not, feel the need to disguise the length of the extension through some paint 'distraction'.

Interesting about the ID plate. I didn't know there was one and it has not come up in conversation during the work. Do you know whereabouts exactly it is located?

Joe