Dodger and Bimini

Talking about the boats in general, that don't fit in the other categories.
seicam

Dodger and Bimini

Post by seicam »

Hi,
Could you voice your opinion about the dodger/bimini combination offered with Telstar? If you were going to buy the boat again, would you include those options? Does it make sens to get a dodger without bimini?
In the place I sail (Pacific NW), the dodger is really a necessisty, but bimini is rarely seen. I'd consider bimini more of a rain cover, rather than sun protection.
Is the dodger not too small? How is it affecting winch operation?

Thansk,
Maciek
Ron

Dodger and Bimini

Post by Ron »

Maciek -

Cockpit canvas is based on personal opinion as well as where you tend to sail and who's on the boat. I'd prefer none but that opinion does not work everywhere.

Between Florida in the winter and the NJ shore is the summer, a bimini is somewhat important. Don't really like it, but the sun can be rather strong on many days. The cockpit bimini makes sense in by case, but I did not want the aft bimini over the stern seats (they split it because of the back stay). If the sun (or maybe lots of rain) was not a problem for me then I'd immediately lose the bimini. I'd rather see what the sails are doing.

I've always treated dodgers as water or wind protection for going offshore and to keep the cabin drier - I don't really want to block my forward vision or access when water, wind or temperature is not a problem. Also note that the Telstar cockpit is MUCH more protected than other boats - the main hulls shape plus the ama's and trampolines will just about prevent any sea water, splash or otherwise, from getting to you in the cockpit. Last boat (big monohull) needed a dodger offshore, this one does not. Rain and colder air is another matter and, considering where you sail, it could justify ordering the dodger.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
gary green

Dodger and Bimini

Post by gary green »

Maciek

I went with a custom dodger. I've always had them on my monohulls and it does provide relief especially at anchor. Ron is correct about the cockpit protection. I've been some bad stuff and the hull shape, trampolines tend to prevent the spray from gettin in the cockpit. I never had that with my mono hulls. I've included some pictures of my dodger set-up. It has a special glass that reduces UV though the glass. I have not had any real issues with using the winches although I use a smaller winch handle so I do not rub against the glass.
Ron

Dodger and Bimini

Post by Ron »

Gary -

Nice looking dodger. And I also have always had one until now (but never used them full time - only when conditions went from bad to horrible). One question that has always bothered me (on any boat) concerns forward mobility. If you had to fold both ama's in (say to get into a 10 foot wide slip), can you get around the dodger if you had to (or maybe walk thru it)? It looks like it may be a little difficult to do it.

Incidednty, there's a bunch of multihulls down here in Florida (SW coast) and only the big cruising cats have one. None of the many tri's or lighter catamarans do.
Ron Marcuse
Dan

Dodger and Bimini

Post by Dan »

Be aware that the PCI dodger is not full-width. Gary's dodger is full width. The stock dodger leaves a space on either side, where the winches are located, and allows you to go forward more easily when the amas are retracted.
gary green

Dodger and Bimini

Post by gary green »

I keep my boat at a marina during the season and have a slip that allows me to keep one ama open. The channel I come home through also allows me to keep an ama open but I have been able to get around the dodger to go forward if needed when the ama was closed. In fact with the new ama retarction lines that I also installed from suggestions made on this site I really do not need to leave the cockpit to do the chicken dance.

gary g.
Attachments
P6060013.JPG
P6060013.JPG (163.32 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
P6060011.JPG
P6060011.JPG (167.82 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
seicam

Dodger and Bimini

Post by seicam »

Thanks everyone for comments.

Gary - this is indeed a good looking dodger. This is something that looks like it would give proper protection from wind/rain to a person sitting next to companionway. This is kind of a dodger that I am used to from my monohull sailing in Pacific NW. Would you mind sharing the place you ordered it from and possibly the pricing?

Dan - I understand that a wider dodger may pose problems to move forward. I am however not sure if the narrow dodger give any wind protection to people in the cockpit or it just serves as a protection for the companionway. I think you have one like that - do you think it helps on spring/fall sails?

In the region where I sail the sailing season does not necessarily end in fall, although not many people keep sailing. If I chose to continue sailing, having a dodger to hide behind on colder days is really essential. I agree its an obstruction and not really the most pretty thing to stick on top of the boat, but I think it's needed.

Bimini - I do not consider it essential, but if I choose to trailer to boat to some sunny places, may come useful. But it's lower priority at this point.
Ron

Dodger and Bimini

Post by Ron »

Maciek -

I like Gary's dodger. As you mentioned, it's designed to protect the cockpit occupants from the elements as well as the companionway. Considering where and when you sail, this would be a good option. The stock PCI designed dodger probably won't do that. It would be nice to make it go away and I've seen dodgers that can be easily folded and others that would take an hour to do with tools. Doing the former on a Telstar with the mast support could be a real challenge, but some of these guys are pretty good at working miracles. Find one of them locally. My thought would be to use the mast support as part of the dodgers frame. Other tubes could be fastened (with a quick release) to it to support the canvas. Also note that if you don't plan on lowering the mast, the mast support can be removed. It's not needed otherwise. I did that last year and it makes it a lot easier to go forward over the cabin top.
Ron Marcuse
Dan

Dodger and Bimini

Post by Dan »

Seicam—

It definitely does help, especially in early or late season sailing... While Gary’s would probably provide more protection, the stock dodger does add quite a bit of shelter to the cockpit.
gary green

Dodger and Bimini

Post by gary green »

The company I had do the dodger as well as my cockpit cushions is Custom Covers. Their website is http://www.customcoverscanvas.com and I have had them do all my canvas work on the monohulls I owned previously. They are located at 20 Riverside Drive, Clinton, CT. They are very creative and spent a good deal of time at my boat making templates because it was the first Telstar they have ever fabricated a dodger as well as custom cushions. They now have those templates as part of their inventory. They were especially attentive to not have the dodegr interfere with any of the rigging or mast raising system but allow the proper headroom. When I stand in the cockpit I have a clear view over the dodger and while seated the large front window gives me great visibility. As with most dodgers everything can zip out so you can remove the side and front windows if you wish. They were very careful in how to attach to the boat and it is very easy to install and remove. I will need to search for how much I paid and I've included some pictures of the cockpit cushions where one is a bridge between the steps so you can lean your back against the bulkhead.

gary g.
Attachments
P6060010.JPG
P6060010.JPG (167.72 KiB) Viewed 1774 times
P6060009.JPG
P6060009.JPG (163.82 KiB) Viewed 1774 times