Telstar in FL for Sale - Sold

Have something to sell, looking for a specific piece of hardware.... this is the place to be.
osprey

Post by osprey »

Well, Skyshark changed his mind. Breakin' Wind is back on the market although I do have quite a few interested parties.
Dan

Post by Dan »

I had a chance to look over Terry's boat, Breakin' Wind, as well as got a chance to sail on her this past weekend.

IMHO, she's a very clean boat overall, and some of the modifications that have been made to her are very innovative. In fact, I plan on copying some of the modifications Terry has made.

I'd also point out that the trailer is not the stock PCI-issue trailer. Among the improvements it has are disc brakes (one axle only) and an upgraded winch with a webbing strap instead of a galvanized steel wire rope. The pads on the trailer are also starboard, unlike the marine plywood ones on my trailer. It does have a spare tire carrier as well as TWO spare tires—the spare tires and carrier were not stock on the earlier trailers, but were included on later trailer IIRC. He's also made some modifications like setting up pin stops for the forward hull supports—instead of needing to use the jack screw at the bottom of the post.

If you have any questions regarding Terry's boat, please feel free to ask me via my blog or e-mail. I've had a chance to poke and prod the boat and a chance to sail on her, and have been impressed with the care and thought Terry has put into this boat.
osprey

Post by osprey »

Dan,

Thanks for your kind words. I enjoyed getting to sail with you and the chance to pick up on a few pointers. Sorry that our weather wasn't the best, but we did need the rain here in North Florida!

Terry
Dan

Post by Dan »

Someone commented about my describing Breakin' Wind as clean... I'd like to elaborate on it... they said it sounded like something a used car salesman would say. I am not a used car salesman, and by clean, I mean just that—Breakin' Wind is a very clean boat.

She has been very well maintained and well kept. The interior is far cleaner than the interior of my boat, which is about the same age. In fact, the interior looks almost new. The cabin sole is free of the normal dings and dents you'll get as a boat is used, probably due to the carpet that Terry installed. The upholstery is also in very good shape as is the overhead. The curtains are clean and crisp, etc. The photos do not really do the boat justice in that its condition needs to be seen and is not readily evident in the photos.

Mechanically, the boat is in very good shape from what I saw. The amas fold in and out without any sticking or hesitation, a problem I've dealt with on my boat and seen on a couple others. Terry has addressed the water leaks into the ams as far as I can tell—the amas having water getting in was a common problem, and part of the problem on the older boats were the stanchion sockets. The newer boats do not have the stanchion sockets cut into the top of the amas from what I've seen. Another place water commonly came in was via the hatches. Terry has upgraded the hatches to ones used on later models of the Telstar.

The mast raising system appears to be in good condition as well. We raised and lowered the mast as part of trailering the boat to test sail it. Terry has added an additional shackle to the turning block on the cabin top for the mast raising line, which is necessary to allow the line to clear the aft hatch properly.

Terry has also come up with one of the better modifications for the mast step safety pins—he cut down two clevis pins and drilled them so that a small fast-pin can be used to lock them in place. This is far more sensible and far more user friendly a setup than the nuts and bolts that are used in the stock setup. I have been using larger fast pins, but will be switching to Terry's setup shortly.

Terry has also made several PVC pipe supports for the furling foil, which are a good idea and will help protect the furler from damage during transport or storage of the boat..

Terry has also used the padded bag suggestion I made on the forums to cover the furling drum, protect the boat from being scratched by it during the mast-raising/lowering process and protect the drum from road dirt/debris when trailering the boat.

Terry has also upgraded the hardware for the roller A-frame, which the gin-pole A-frame uses to lift the mast initially. He is using locking fast pins for the support posts and replaced the stock bases with ones that pivot, which is a bit more user-friendly. It is little touches like this that really impressed me about how well-thought out Breakin' Wind is and what care Terry took to when making such modifications.

The sails appear to be in good shape. They're crisp and don't appear to be blown out or UV-damaged. I would upgrade the lazy jacks to a four-leg system, as I did on the s/v Pretty Gee, since that gives you better control over dropping and flaking the mainsail. Other than that, the sailcover and sails don't really need any attention as far as I saw.

The motor started without any issues and ran quite well during the test sail. The only issue I would deal with is upgrading the block and tackle to a 6:1 purchase, to make raising and lowering the engine simpler.
thirdeyesail

Post by thirdeyesail »

Dan wrote:The photos do not really do the boat justice in that its condition needs to be seen and is not readily evident in the photos.

Terry has also come up with one of the better modifications for the mast step safety pins—he cut down two clevis pins and drilled them so that a small fast-pin can be used to lock them in place. This is far more sensible and far more user friendly a setup than the nuts and bolts that are used in the stock setup.
Are these photos online somewhere? In particular, the mods to the mast step are intriguing.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Not that I know of. If you're interested, I'm sure Terry would be more than happy to e-mail them to you.
thirdeyesail wrote:Are these photos online somewhere? In particular, the mods to the mast step are intriguing.
The modifications regarding the mast step were not to the mast step itself, but to the way that Terry is securing the foot of the mast. The stock method, at least when I bought my boat, was to use two bolts to secure the mast base in the mast step/shoe. This required tools, so I ditched the bolts and used two stainless steel fast pins that were connected via a bungee cord to lock the mast base in position.

Instead of using two fast pins connected by a bungie cord or the original bolts, Terry uses two very short clevis pins that are drilled to take a fast pin, which keeps the clevis pins locked in position. IMHO, this is a much more elegant and neater solution to securing the mastbase to the mast step/shoe. The only improvement I'd make on it is drilling the clevis pins, so that there can be a cord securing the fast pins to the clevis pins as well as allowing you to tie the clevis pins to the mast step, so they can not be dropped overboard by accident.
osprey

Post by osprey »

Breakin'Wind has been sold. The New owner...Steve will be picking her up next week. Steve is a member here and I'm sure you all will be hearing from him soon.

Terry
Dan

Post by Dan »

Congratulations Steve. I'm glad that Breakin' Wind has found a new home. She's a very nice boat and I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

I don't recommend beaching the Telstar, as it is a good way to remove a lot of bottom paint. You're better off anchoring in two-to-three feet of water instead, unless there's some surf or swells to worry about in which case, firmly beaching the boat is probably safer for the boat.
Wooden wrote:My wife and I feel very fortunate to be the new owners of an exceptional boat, Breakin' Wind. Terry and Dawn have been wonderful to work with. Dan's expert evaluation and positive opinion of the boat was extremely helpful. The ITOS is obviously a unique and friendly group of people, and we are looking forward to being part of it.

Breakin' Wind will be located in Summerland Key FL. My wife and I have been looking for the perfect boat that would allow us to explore the waters of the Keys. The ability of the Telstar to deal with shallow water, beach on remote islands, and sail with relative ease, will make this a perfect boat for our needs.

I am sure this forum will miss Terry's expertise and his contribution to the Telstar community.

Steve & Mittie Wooden