Telstar 26 Mk2 Trailer

Talk about the older Telstar 26 and 8M
dancason

Telstar 26 Mk2 Trailer

Post by dancason »

Hi,

I'm looking for a trailer for a Telstar 26 Mk2. Anyone got one available they do not use. If not to sell then would anyone be interested in hiring one out for a winter. I want to bring it home to my yard so I can finish off the interior over winter. No works that would aversely affect the trailer!

As an aside and if there are no trailers available. If I have to look into adapting a used trailer, when you swing the amps down, how low do they sit vs the bottom of the main hull? It looks from pics like quite low or lower than so would have to raise up the central supports to get these to sit above the wheel arches? Anyone with good pics of their boat on the trailer would be really useful.

Thanks, Dan.
Hull52

Re: Telstar 26 Mk2 Trailer

Post by Hull52 »

I would be happy to take whatever measurements you need. I have a Mark I. The trailer is in bad shape and I wouldn't trust it on the road. I'm interested in adapting a used trailer for mine and would be interested to see how it works out for you.

Here's my trailer.

dancason

Post by dancason »

Thanks hull 52,

Do you have any pics from the side showing the points that are supported along the hull lengthways.

All the Telstar trailers i have seen seem to use the u shaped brackets made to the hull width so central hull is cocooned. As the middle is the widest point how does this work with a skinnier rear one as i'd like to self launch on slipways so was thinking i'd use roller setup instead. Guess i could use a single front one if it helps orientate the boat level. Also like yours they seem to have supports up to the upper central hull which to me would also make slipway self launch off the cards. Hopefully i'm wrong but how do you launch and what are your thoughts on the above.

Last point is how far back is the last support. I.e how much of the rear can stick off the trailer unsupported?
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

dancason wrote:Thanks hull 52,

Do you have any pics from the side showing the points that are supported along the hull lengthways.

All the Telstar trailers i have seen seem to use the u shaped brackets made to the hull width so central hull is cocooned. As the middle is the widest point how does this work with a skinnier rear one as i'd like to self launch on slipways so was thinking i'd use roller setup instead. Guess i could use a single front one if it helps orientate the boat level. Also like yours they seem to have supports up to the upper central hull which to me would also make slipway self launch off the cards. Hopefully i'm wrong but how do you launch and what are your thoughts on the above.

Last point is how far back is the last support. I.e how much of the rear can stick off the trailer unsupported?
Here are some photos of the side of the boat. There are three supports for the hull plus the V bracket in the front where the hull parks.

Here are the two supports that carry most of the hull. Right after the second support, the hull starts to taper up to the end. The third and last support is at the supports that go up to the underside of the main cabin moldings behind the brackets. You can see that the support is much higher here than the other two supports.

Because of the height of the supports and the need to get the boat up fairly high to float off the trailer, most of the boats that used this trailer needed a 10' extension to get the trailer deep enough at the launch site to float the boat off the trailer. That is why a lot of owners just had the boat taken off the trailer with a travel lift. The tongue on the trailer is far too short. I would make sure it was extended by 3 or 4 feet. I think the trailer might benefit from a third axle as well, but I don't know why 2 won't be enough.

But, from that I see, the boat seems to rest on the first 2 supports and the v in the front for the bow. The upright supports could be made to telescope to make launching easier and rollers would probably help a lot. You could have them in a down position when loading the boat and extended to support the cabin molding for towing.

Let me know if any of this helps. I can take specific measurements if you need them.

Remember, you will need low fenders like the ones on the trailer so that the amas can fold down on top of them, helping to relieve pressure on the brackets when towing and to help stabilize the folded hulls.
dancason

Post by dancason »

Ah great pics yes that makes a lot of sense. I'm thinking that due to the location accuracy I guess you need to fold the amps onto supports this is the reason why they have the shaped supports. I think I am going to see if having 2 shaped supports on the bow and main mid support, to then use rollers for the rear support like you suggest that could be lowered for launch and retrieval, and then be lifted up for transport and storage to support the rear end.

I'll update on here once I have done a bit more research and will talk with some companies about cost to build one up or adjust a used one I can get off e-bay. New ones just seem to look more flimsy than older ones I see on e-bay and i'm a fan of strength rather than weight saving, mpg etc... Plus I may be able to reuse the rollers from a used trailer and just have the 2 front shaped supports made up and ama supports.

As the amas come down low I might have to go with smaller wheels than I would have liked. But i'll look into this and have to calc overall height when boat is on trailer. That is a measurement that would be really useful actually if you do get the chance. Thanks, Dan.
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

dancason wrote:Ah great pics yes that makes a lot of sense. I'm thinking that due to the location accuracy I guess you need to fold the amps onto supports this is the reason why they have the shaped supports. I think I am going to see if having 2 shaped supports on the bow and main mid support, to then use rollers for the rear support like you suggest that could be lowered for launch and retrieval, and then be lifted up for transport and storage to support the rear end.

I'll update on here once I have done a bit more research and will talk with some companies about cost to build one up or adjust a used one I can get off e-bay. New ones just seem to look more flimsy than older ones I see on e-bay and i'm a fan of strength rather than weight saving, mpg etc... Plus I may be able to reuse the rollers from a used trailer and just have the 2 front shaped supports made up and ama supports.

As the amas come down low I might have to go with smaller wheels than I would have liked. But i'll look into this and have to calc overall height when boat is on trailer. That is a measurement that would be really useful actually if you do get the chance. Thanks, Dan.
I think the supports match the location of the bulkheads, so they don't just sit on a hull that is not supported in any way. I'll try to get the overall height in the morning. I need it anyway to find out if the Telstar will fit in a 30' shipping container.
dancason

Post by dancason »

Bulkhead locations would make sense. And that makes me feel better and understand the overhang at the back. Although with rollers here they should spread the weight out over a large area which from my reading is the best way to spread weight.

Oooh, where are you planning on taking her in a container?

Thanks that would be handy.

Dan.
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

dancason wrote:Bulkhead locations would make sense. And that makes me feel better and understand the overhang at the back. Although with rollers here they should spread the weight out over a large area which from my reading is the best way to spread weight.

Oooh, where are you planning on taking her in a container?

Thanks that would be handy.

Dan.
Now you have me thinking. I would think that 3 sets of rollers would suffice. The first could go where the first support is, the third could go just before the centerboard case (there is a lot of support there) and one could go in the middle. After the centerboard case, the hull starts to taper up to the aft end. I think the boat would sit fine on those three. It would need to be fastened into a V brace at the bow and you would probably need a mooring eye. At that point, once the boat is on the trailer, you can use telescoping uprights to brace the boat in place.

I think the trailer should be longer than the Telstar's trailer. I would not want the boat to overhand the trailer like it does. I would think that a 28-30' trailer might suffice. Wonder if the Telstar 28 trailer would work?

Here are some measurements. First, even removing the hulls, the center hull is 8.4" wide. That is far too wide for a shipping container, which is 7.8" at its widest. So much for that idea.

The first support is 9.5" above the trailer and holds the boat 26" above the ground. The first brace is located 66" from the bow stop. The trailer provides 39" of clearance from the top of the fenders to the bottom of the cabin that rests on the uprights. I would assume that you need 39-40" to properly fold the hulls. The trailer that came with the boat is only 20' long. I think you need something 28-30'.

Lou

I think I'm going to start looking into this, since I think my boat will be done by the end of the summer and will need to be transported to a boatyard. I was going to have it moved but the cost of that might pay for a trailer.

I'll get those measurements soon. The shipping container was just a thought as to how to get the boat some distance (like the Med or Western US) without spending a fortune.