Winch Maintenance

Tips and posts general maintenance.
agprice22

Winch Maintenance

Post by agprice22 »

Ok... I give. How does one remove the primary winch from the cabin top for servicing? It seems to be mounted close to the cabin dome lights.
agprice22

Re: Winch Maintenance

Post by agprice22 »

I serviced mine in place, but I would like to remove them for servicing in the future. Seems there could be an access hole behind the dome lights. I removed my dome lights and found... headliner. :) I promised my wife I would not cut it open... yet. ;)
wingman71

Post by wingman71 »

I take a paper grocery bag (if you live where they still allow them) and cut it done to about 6 inches, then a hole in the middle of the bottom just wider then the winch. I then tape the bag around the winch to ensure that no loose parts roll off into the water! The winches come apart very easily and it is almost impossible to reinstall wrong completely. I have messed up once, but it took great ingenuity!

In Practical Sailor,they evaluated winch grease and Lewmar's was rated at the top. A little goes a very long way, so do not go cheap!
agprice22

Post by agprice22 »

wingman71 wrote:I take a paper grocery bag (if you live where they still allow them) and cut it done to about 6 inches, then a hole in the middle of the bottom just wider then the winch. I then tape the bag around the winch to ensure that no loose parts roll off into the water! The winches come apart very easily and it is almost impossible to reinstall wrong completely. I have messed up once, but it took great ingenuity!

In Practical Sailor,they evaluated winch grease and Lewmar's was rated at the top. A little goes a very long way, so do not go cheap!
Thanks. We taped some plastic around them. Yes. I used Lewmar grease too. I scubbed everything with lacquer thinner to clean it. They turned out nice. Still, removing them should be an option!