Main struts bent

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
BoarX

Main struts bent

Post by BoarX »

Dear all,

I am looking for second hand Telstar 28 and recently checked out a boat which looked OK for the price except some obvious damage to the two main mast supporting struts. Apparently they were bent either when raised mast hit the bridge or in some similar situation. Current owner is (or pretends to be) clueless about the origin of the problem. According to him, mast raising mechanism still works. The bent is not all that significant, however what worries me is the fact that the welded connections of both struts to smaller diameter tubes right next to the attachment point to the boat deck are broken - apparently as a result of the same disaster. Here are some pictures, which I hope illustrate the problem:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-Jol ... 2JIc2pVa1U

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-Jol ... 0V4UzRwb1U

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-Jol ... 25iYVp6R28

For comparison, here is a picture of the same area taken from some Youtube video:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-Jol ... lpMSkljbmM

Deck areas around the strut anchors appear to be undamaged and solid.

I am wondering if:

a) this kind of damage is tolerable if the mast raising and lowering still works

b) if anyone has experience repairing bent struts or altogether replacing them

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Best,
Alex
West Lafayette, IN
2009 Telstar 28 Unicorn
Sail #383 (hull?)
Member of Clinton Lake Sailing Association
Ron

Re: Main struts bent

Post by Ron »

You've got to be very careful when raising or lowering the mast. Keep an eye open for any lines which may grab on something. Something impeded the raising or lowering on this boat, or one or both were in compression while sailing. They must be pulling down (like a shroud), not pushing up.

Since the weight of the mast is coming straight down the two stainless tubes when lowering or raising it, any bends in these could eventually pose a problem. Ditto for the broken welds. I wouldn't trust them. Get them straightened if you buy the boat.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
BoarX

Post by BoarX »

Thanks Ron!

Are there any other active online communities devoted to Telstars? I am trying Google, but don't see much and most are dormant. Performance Cruising used to have some sort of owners forum, but I cannot seem to find it. I am not being disrespectful to the current forum, just trying to reach the broadest audience possible.

Thanks,
Alex
West Lafayette, IN
2009 Telstar 28 Unicorn
Sail #383 (hull?)
vancouver

Post by vancouver »

I have already replaced on of them and now have another one bent. I believe in both cases it was a result on high wind and incorrect tension on the shrouds. The one replaced was with a heavy gauge stainless. Cut the fittings off the old and welded it on the new.
BoarX

Post by BoarX »

Many thanks! Good to know it is doable! By the way, is there any info about correct shroud tension as it is evidently critical. On Thistles dinghies I am used to race we adjust shrouds and forestay tension using special measuring device.

Thanks again!
Alex
West Lafayette, IN
2009 Telstar 28 Unicorn
Sail #383 (hull?)
Ron

Post by Ron »

As a starter, the wire upper shroud can be adjusted with a tension gauge after you center the mast head and adjust the lowers. Final adjustments should be done in about 10 - 15 knots of wind. The stainless tube lowers ("A" and "B" frames) should be done at the dock to guarantee that they are NOT in compression. The must pull down, and not push up. There's a documented procedure in the manual that involves almost matching 2 holes (1/4 inch apart or so) then pulling out on the upper shroud wire to get the pin in. If they are in compression, expect the tubes to bend when you get into 20 knots of wind or more.

This mistake and catching a hanging line when erecting or lowering the mast would explain most, if not all, of these problems. I have probably raised and lowered my mast 50+ times in the last 10 years. Never had any trouble. You gotta keep an eye on everything to make sure nothing impedes it. If the winch handle suddenly needs too much force then stop and look.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"