Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Detailed posts on modifications and projects.
Hull52

Re: Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by Hull52 »

Working on laminating the top of the centerboard case.

Instead of keeping the top of the case open as in the original design, I'm building up the sides 3.5" to accommodate the end of the board.

I'm using 3/16" plywood strips laminated with west epoxy.

Once I get to 3.5" built up on the sides of the slot, I can install the centerboard and put a layer on top as a cap. The board can be lowered with a rope in the slot. It can be raised by a lifting rope anchored onto the blade of the board. Exterior of the case will get blue carpet.

First laminated section ready for sanding and finishing.
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

Quick update:

Here at the bonded sections to build up the sides of the centerboard case.

There are three bonded sections per side. I need a few long screws and nuts to bolt them together when I'm ready to assemble the case. The extra height will permit the board to be pulled by a rope tied to the stainless ring installed. One rope to pull the board down and one to pull it up. The sides need to be cleaned up with some wood putty or fairing compound. Then they can be re-sanded and urethaned. Here is the cap being fitted.

Fitted and ready for finishing. Then the inside of the centerboard case can be painted with bottom paint, the board coated with graphite along the edges and painted with antifouling.

Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

Centerboard finished.

Centerboard case almost done. Case will be sealed to the inside of the cabin, unlike the original.

The mechanism for raising the board and locking it in place is simple. It is adapted from my Hobie 17 centerboard.

The board is held up by a braided chord that comes through the case and is tied off. The second braided chord is for locking the board in the down position. It will be run though a cam cleat to prevent any damage if the board hits anything while in the down position. The cam cleat should give way with that much force.

And ... here it is ... done.

Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

In case anybody still follows this thread, I'm in the process of getting the final punch list done so I can launch the boat later this summer.

The Hulls are done. Paint is System 3, 2 Part WR-LPU. In a couple of weeks, I should have the rest of the topsides work done, have the paint on and the teak done with sickens. Then I can concentrate on the mast and the rudder assembly. After that, it's off to the boat yard.
Hull52

Post by Hull52 »

Painted most of the forpeak and superstructure. All that's left is the cockpit and ama decks. If the weather cooperates this weekend, I should have the cockpit finished and should be able to start finishing the hardware installation.

Here are the hulls with the tape removed.

Here is the forepeak with the tape still on.

and tape removed.

Here is the cockpit with 2 coats on it.