taking water

Tips and posts general maintenance.
escape

taking water

Post by escape »

Hi, new problem…
I am taking water from the centerboard well. Fortunately it is above the water line level but I went sailing yesterday for about 3 hours and the was about a gallon of water in the bilge. This is something I notice last year but it is worst now. I took a picture thru the access port, I ca see that the small piece of plywood is black of rot so and I could feel the plywood was humid but there was no water in this section. The water accumulate in the bilge under the main floor. I took another picture of the supporting mast pole, there seems to be white silicone or probably 5200 under the fiberglass, anyone has this on their boat?

Not sure how I will fix this, I think I will have to cut a wide piece of the white fiberglass liner from the floor to the velcro. :(
rotten.jpg
rotten.jpg (240.73 KiB) Viewed 3305 times
mast.jpg
mast.jpg (236.07 KiB) Viewed 3305 times
Michel
Chenoa, #377
jannpage

Re: taking water

Post by jannpage »

Wow. Does not sound good. Certainly glad you found it now. I wonder exactly where you are. Please keep us informed what you do and what you find.
lefty2
escape

Post by escape »

I am in Contrecoeur, Quebec, mainly sailing on the St-Laurent, usually flat water. Went sailing this weekend and still taking water only when sailing or motoring. I have no clue where it's coming from, cant see much from the inspection hole.

I would love to see the hull drawings before cutting the inside shell. Seem the water could be coming somewhere under the mast support post as i can feel it is wet where the wood is rotten. There seem to be a vent for the center board and the exhaust is at the top of the square pole.
Michel
Chenoa, #377
escape

Post by escape »

Found the problem :D but I had to cut some fiberglass... first I cut a square piece at the front, a few days later I cut another part covering the centerboard system. It was then obvious the water was not coming from the centerboard raising system.
zoom in.jpg
zoom in.jpg (247.11 KiB) Viewed 3234 times
If I am correct, in front of the mast post there is a crash-box, probably filled with foam. Underneath there is a vertical piece of plywood glass to the bottom. Closer to the mast post, there is about 1/4 inch gap between the plywood and the crash-box but the plywood had an angle, so going forward the plywood was up to the crash-box. With the pressure of the mast the plywood perforated thru the crash-box. (I don't have a picture before I cut the plywood but you can see the cut piece of black plywood at front of the centerboard case)
side2.jpg
side2.jpg (229.95 KiB) Viewed 3234 times
Once the plywood was cut I put some epoxy paste underneath the crash-box and the leak stop. Now the boat is out of the water, I am preparing for vacation. This week I will glass the area to secure the epoxy paste.

I do not know if all the T28 are made like mine, did they forget to completely glass the plywood to the crash-box? or was the plywood wrongly cut? By the access port on the other side, one could check with the fingers or a small screwdriver if the plywood is completely glass to the crash-box or if there is a gap between the plywood and the crash-box.
Michel
Chenoa, #377