AMA/AKA'S ISSUE PART 2

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
Gene

AMA/AKA'S ISSUE PART 2

Post by Gene »

I've had a problem folding my starboard ama for some time. I originally thought it to be a side skirt rubbing issue. But I've recently discovered its an issue relating to an aka hinge. The aka's have 2 hinges: one fixed to the hull and one fixed to the ama as a sort of aka extention, which basically does a "1 80" pivoting around the hull hinge. It is this hinge which pivots which is giving me problems.
When in the water, the starboard ama will fold in ok until the last foot or so. At that point I get excessive resistance. The last 8 to 12" simply won't go. It has become progressively worse over the last several months.
When out of the water it will fold ok. Upon close examination, the top of the vertical hinge shows that its rubbing against the hull. At first I thought it was just the head of the cotter pin. But upon closer examination, the cotter pin rubs initially, then the top of the hinge rubs. I'll try to attach a few pics.... Any thoughts for a correction???
initial scrape to right is from cotter pin, at extreme left is the vertical hinge top
initial scrape to right is from cotter pin, at extreme left is the vertical hinge top
aka1.jpg (91.6 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
aka1.jpg (91.6 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
When looking at the pics please consider that this is with the boat out of the water thus no upward load on the amas/akas! In contrast, the port side appears to have the hinge swing somewhat further aft in the hull cut out, thus avoiding any contact...
Attachments
aka2.jpg
aka2.jpg (71.19 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
Last edited by Gene on Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
Plash Island, AL
USA
wooden

Re: AMA/AKA'S ISSUE PART 2

Post by wooden »

That is interesting Gene. One of my Ama had a similar folding issue, but strengthening the skirt hinge seemed to fix it. I will take a look at mine and see if the Ama hinge may also be an issue. However, I am traveling and will probably not see my boat for about three weeks.
Steve & Mittie Wooden
Bayou Vista TX (Galveston)
"Gnarly's Poop Deck" Hull #340
Gene

Post by Gene »

Well I had an idea. I put the boat back in the water and tried folding the boat again, this time with "folders" on both the bow and stern of the ama. This way it worked! There was enough downward weight to overcome the buoyancy of the ama. It's still far from perfect, and I'm still concerned that it could get worse. Any thoughts... Ron are you out there?
Plash Island, AL
USA
Ron

Post by Ron »

To get mine to fold easily, I've got to lubricate the slides on the netting at least every other month. I tend to use McLube SailKote or similar. After 2 months or so, the last foot gets to be almost impossible. Way too much friction and the slides hang up, which could cause some of the hinge problems. I'd try that on your boat as well. I also spray the 8 hinge pins with McLube .

We should be heading back to Florida in about 3 weeks. Haven't seen the boat since May.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
wooden

Post by wooden »

Gene,

I have not yet gotten back to evaluate my boat, but your pictures will help when I do. I do recall that some point on my ama hinges, there are extra stainless washers. I can not be sure, but is there a point that extra washers might lower or support the ama enough to prevent flexing and rubbing on the fuselage? Just a thought, but I will get back with you when I have a look at my boat.
Steve & Mittie Wooden
Gene

Post by Gene »

Thanks for you input guys. If you need help with the centerboard install let me know!
Plash Island, AL
USA
wooden

Post by wooden »

Gene,

I finally was able to take a look at my AMA hinge and found that the factory or previous owner put 5 washers on the outer hinge post which actually drops the AMA down about .5 inches. Enough to keep the inner post from scraping the hull. I will see if I can get a picture tomorrow.

Steve
Steve & Mittie Wooden
Gene

Post by Gene »

Thanks Steve... I'll have to give that a go! BTW- how is your centerboard project going?
Plash Island, AL
USA
ggreen

Post by ggreen »

My AMA Steel posts are held in place with a Cap nut 9 on the top (at the aft end) and a steel cotter pin at the bottom holding the donut in place. One of those cotter pins broke and I am having a tough time trying to find a replacement. I think the size is 7/32" or 1/4". It may be metric. Does anyone have an idea as to its true dimension and where I can get replacements? I looked all over the Internet but could not come up with a replacement.

gary g.