Broken Rudder

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
Panman

Re: Broken Rudder

Post by Panman »

Simon,

I live vey close to you and my boat is on the trailer currently. If there is anything I can do to help you. Please let me know.

Steve
~Steve
"Pain Killer" Hull 363
simonhayes

Post by simonhayes »

Well I am having a rudder issue as well. Did Simon get his repaired or rebuilt yet...I am pulling the boat this weekend so if needed I can send pics and measurements . I am hull 309.
Yes - I had mine rebuilt, at some considerable cost ( $3300 ) by Svendsens in Alameda - http://www.svendsens.com/ .

The guy who did for me sent the following description of what he did
The process for the rudder will be: Removal of the cassette and rudder shaft from the boat. Repair the damaged stainless steel flag on the rudder shaft. Cut out and fit two pieces of marine structural foam over the rudder shaft and flags. Pre laminate the two stainless flags with structural fiberglass . Laminate these pieces over the foam with epoxy. Shape the foam to the rudder foil shape. Laminate the foam with two laminates of 17 oz. DB 1708 and marine epoxy resin. Sand, fair and prime with marine epoxy and Duratek primer and bottom paint. Install the two piece cassette and install on boat. All these materials are first class marine items and the Marine structural foam is the best for rudder construction and runs about $18 a square foot. The extra step I described above, prelaminating glass material over the flags gives much more surface area to the flags so they don’t just tear away at the foam under stress, which is just how you rudder (and many others we have seen) fail under load. As you can tell from this description, we have built many rudders and have had no failures.
Here are the pics of the rebuilt rudder - let me know if you have any questions

Ex-Telstar 28 Owner
San Francisco Bay, CA
simonhayes

Post by simonhayes »

Panman wrote:Simon,

I live vey close to you and my boat is on the trailer currently. If there is anything I can do to help you. Please let me know.

Steve
Thanks Steve - I have it done now. Where do you live BTW ? ( you can private mail me if you prefer )
Ex-Telstar 28 Owner
San Francisco Bay, CA
Doncs

Post by Doncs »

Simon your replacement rudder looks great...but $$$$ ouch! I am getting my boat lifted out this week so ill see what I have to work with... All of your info has been most helpful ; thanks . Did your insurance cover any of the cost?
simonhayes

Post by simonhayes »

I actually didn't think about the insurance but I should probably look into it - will let you know .

Good luck

- Simon
Ex-Telstar 28 Owner
San Francisco Bay, CA
Panman

Post by Panman »

Thanks Steve - I have it done now. Where do you live BTW ? ( you can private mail me if you prefer )

Ron can't get PM's working for me Simon. Glad you got it fixed. I live in Martinez.
~Steve
"Pain Killer" Hull 363