Bottom painting

Tips and posts general maintenance.
gary green

Bottom painting

Post by gary green »

When I have my boat bottom painted the marina took the boat off the trailer and blocked it on the ground with open amas open. After painting they put the boat back in the slings and painted those areas that were blocked.

I had my waterline raised, in fact twice as I had the Honda 50 and I do carry some extra weight.

gary g.
Ron

Bottom painting

Post by Ron »

Jerry -

I can't think of anyway to safely lift the entire boat without partially supporting the main hull from the bottom. I don't think the swiveling aka's can take that load. Ditto for the cleats or other deck hardware. Give Tony a call to find out how they paint it.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
trashpad

Bottom painting

Post by trashpad »

I know Tony said that they tested the akas by supporting the boat with 55 gal drums under the amas with the main free. Then they jumped around in the main hull. I would not want to do it to my boat but it is nice to know that it has been done.
Ron

Bottom painting

Post by Ron »

I think he wants to lift the entire open boat with nothing under any of the hulls. At least that's what his post implies. Don't think that's do-able - unless there is some point on the swiveling aka's which can take that sort of load. I remember something from the last forum which prohibited that idea. Only way to find out is to talk to Tony.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
drsm

Bottom painting

Post by drsm »

Jerry wrote:Steve,
Did they use the slings just to raise the boat so they could paint where it had been on the trailer or did they find a way to support the boat so they could paint the entire main hull in one operation? The later is what my marina wants to do if I can find a way someone has successfully supported the boat with the hull clean for a single application.
Thanks
Jerry
To the best of my knowledge, they kept it in the slings, supporting one end at a time per the instructions in the manual (which I gave them) to get to the covered areas.

Steve
tricruiser

Bottom painting

Post by tricruiser »

Hello Dan,
I have tried to lift to bow of the boat from the pad using a jack from the ground. It does not work. The trailer is lifting also.
Could you elaborate how you did it?
I am thinking about making a bracket to hold the jack between the trailer beams and the boat.
The stern side will be easier. I think as the jockey wheel will hold the trailer front.
Many thanks
Tricruiser
Gene

Re: Bottom painting

Post by Gene »

I raised mine by placing the jack under the pad supports. When I had it raised I placed a plywood support piece held up by two boat stands, then dropped the jack/pad support.
Plash Island, AL
USA
wingman71

Re: Bottom painting

Post by wingman71 »

I have used jacks to raise the stern, then I bought two stands to put on either side of the main hull, just aft of the trailer pad. Then I raised the bow by putting the jack on a board across the trailer. I decided to take off the trailer pads so that I and more clearance access to the bottom. I used a block of wood with a appropriately sized "V" cut in it to support the bow while painting.

I am trying out Eco Clad on my centerboard. I clean my bottom about once every two weeks in the summer.I will see how well it works and may redo the entire bottom with it if it is good. Right now, I am using Vivid, which is OK, but the coats are building up and I am tired of doing it myself. I may try to get rich enough to have someone else do it!

John