Fuel Economy on the 50

Posts about mechanical systems on a Telstar, including the outboard engine.
vancouver

Fuel Economy on the 50

Post by vancouver »

I am just back from a trip to Desolation Sound and as always it was spectacular. This time of year it is a little chilly, but also very uncrowded.

What was less satisfying was the gas consumption. I have dialed my speed way back, running at 2200 giving me about 4.5 knots. I am still using about 1.5 gallons per hour. I know it is a sailboat, but PNW winds don't always agree. My problem, besides the cost, is carrying enough fuel for the trips I plan latter in the summer.

How does the economy of the 20 compare. Tohatsu has a 9.8 with remote and power tilt. Has anyone tried an engine that small?

thanks.
JoeWalling

Fuel Economy on the 50

Post by JoeWalling »

Hi. I have an older Telstar a Mark 2 from 1978 and a much heavier boat I imagine. I have a 9.8 Tohatsu with electric start. I have never felt I needed more power - pushes the boat along at 5 knots or more without every seeming stressed.

Joe
Ron

Fuel Economy on the 50

Post by Ron »

1.5 gallons per hour seems high, even for the 50hp Honda. My 20 hp usually gets somewhat less than .5 gallons an hour at 4000 rpm, which usually translates to around 6 to 6.5 knots depending on conditions. I can easily break 8 knots but normally choose not to. 5500 rpm is too much for me.

Is the hull and prop clean? Does the prop have the right pitch for the motor and boat combination? My 20 came thru with a 4 blade 9.5 x 10 pitch prop that was entirely wrong for this application. I replaced it with a 4 blade 10 x 7 5/8 with a significant improvement in performance. Has anyone experimented with the 50hp props yet? I would think that an 8.5 pitch might be better suited for the 50. What does it come with?

10 pitch props usually work best in much lighter power boats that expect to get up to 20 knots top end.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
vancouver

Fuel Economy on the 50

Post by vancouver »

Hi Ron,

The fuel use seemed high to me also.

I replaced the original 10 pitch with a 9 two years ago and that improved fuel economy. It still looks brand new with no damage.

I haul out next week and will see the hull condition, but it has been pretty consistent since the bottom was painted two years ago.

I like the .5 per hour.

Terry
sandeb2

Re: Fuel Economy on the 50

Post by sandeb2 »

i wanted fuel injection to avoid ethanol problems with the carbs and 2 years ago when i did it the lightest efi ob was the merc 25/50 at 157 # . now there is a suzuki 15 efi 4s. which is what i would put on it. efi is best fuel economy and most reliable.
Sandy & Debbie Williamson Telstar 8M #254
WORDBoats.com & HeliCat.net & WORDyachts.com S cell:253-376-8273 or 888-387-1963
Spanaway, WA 98387 near Seattle