Painting the centerboard

Tips and posts general maintenance.
Graham

Painting the centerboard

Post by Graham »

I have a loadrite trailer not a venture but removing the C/B should not be a problem if you jack up the boat with a good hydraulic jack. I have removed my C/B numerous times this way. Either place the jack in front of or just behind the trailer pads. Use a large piece of wood to distribute the weight and if you feel uncertain use wedges for steadying the boat and distributing the weight up the side of the boat. I place my jack on the front of the C/B trunk and lift. Remember to have a GOOD jack capable of lifting the weight, not a cheap jack that you see in some of the stores. I have also jacked up my boat from the bow eye. The way I did this was to use 2 pallet shelving units with cross braces. On top of this I used 2 x 8's with a 4 ton chain hoist. I hooked it to the bow and lifted. Once the boat was up I blocked it with 2 x 6's. I wish I knew how to upload photos because I photographed after it was up in the air. Now for the legal stuff, this is how I did it and was sucessful, my caveat is if you don't feel comfortable doing it this way or have any doubts, don't do it, as I cannot be responsible if anything goes wrong. Oh also, the first time I removed the C/B I put a thick pad underneath the C/B and was also on grass when it fell down. Being under the boat in a upside down contorted positon also makes the C/B quite heavy. I now use a second floor jack (the cheap one) and lower the C/B down to the ground.
Fatboyfinn

Painting the centerboard

Post by Fatboyfinn »

Is this a Telstar 26? - when I first had my 26 I copper coated the hull/amas and c/board.
Far as I remember the c/board came out from the inside. Maybe, its different on an 8M.

Andy
Graham

Painting the centerboard

Post by Graham »

Hi Sandy, I tried to upload photos but file is too large. The Pallet racking is available at any material handling co. Just ask for costs for used racking should be under $100.00 if not cheaper. Mine was brand new and given to me. Sandy, I was able to upload the photo to the Yahoo site that Ron set up.