Shower drain

Posts about the Galley and Head systems, including plumbing, water, and propane
Cathyalan

Shower drain

Post by Cathyalan »

What is the "hole" on the cabin floor in front of the head? Is this a shower drain? If so, how does it work?

Alan
Cathy & Alan #313
seicam

Shower drain

Post by seicam »

It is a shower drain. Depending on your hull # it may or may not be connected to the plumbing. On my hull, which is one of the last produced, the shower drain is conencted through a 3-way fitting to the head plumbing and can be pumped using the head pump out through head to the holding tank or overboard. I think earlier boats had just the drain installed and had the plumbing left for the owner to sort out.

Search for 'shower' on the forum, I think you will find some other posts on this subject.

Regards,
Maciek
Dan

Shower drain

Post by Dan »

I believe most of them are plumbed to a hose that comes out in the head area...but that not all of them are connected to the head's plumbing system. BTW, IMHO, using the shower sump as a source of water for flushing the head is a really bad idea. Debris from the cabin floor can damage the seals on the head pump mechanism. I have connected the shower sump to a small diaphragm-type sump pump instead.
Cathyalan

Shower drain

Post by Cathyalan »

Plumbing for the shower drain is connected. One problem...there is no "dam" to prevent the shower water from just running into the cabin. I guess I need to build a dam, any suggestions?

When you sail the Great Lakes and use a sun shower you need to shower in the evening if you want warm water. Bathing in the lake, with bio-degradable soap of course, is an option but believe me it's a real eye opener in the morning. Especially in early to mid June or mid-September. Many of the bays are quite nice and since we can anchor in 2-3 feet of water, the water tends to be a bit warmer.

Shrinkage is a way of life on the Great Lakes :D

Alan
Cathy & Alan #313
Dan

Shower drain

Post by Dan »

Alan—

I'm planning on glassing in a dam that runs between the two sides where the bulkheads are located. Visually and spatially, I think this makes the most sense. I will be making the dam on my boat out of 1/2" balsa core with 2-3 layers of fiberglass on each side and gelcoating it to match the interior.
Cathyalan wrote:Plumbing for the shower drain is connected. One problem...there is no "dam" to prevent the shower water from just running into the cabin. I guess I need to build a dam, any suggestions?

When you sail the Great Lakes and use a sun shower you need to shower in the evening if you want warm water. Bathing in the lake, with bio-degradable soap of course, is an option but believe me it's a real eye opener in the morning. Especially in early to mid June or mid-September. Many of the bays are quite nice and since we can anchor in 2-3 feet of water, the water tends to be a bit warmer.

Shrinkage is a way of life on the Great Lakes :D

Alan
ggreen

Re: Shower drain

Post by ggreen »

[attachment=0]Head Shower I just finished walling in and installing a door to my Head/Shower area. I am looking to install a shower drain up forward where the door is because that is the natural flow of the water. In that respect I am closing in the drain that came with the boat because it did not make any sense to have it there. I am looking for anyone who may have installed a shower drain and how you plumbed it, whether you used a boat sump drain and where you plumbed it for overboard discharge. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I have a picture of the walls before the door was installed.

Thanks,

gary g
Attachments
Shower Head Walls.jpg
Shower Head Walls.jpg (124.67 KiB) Viewed 3422 times
Head Shower Walls.docx
(137.93 KiB) Downloaded 255 times