Size of ama for boat lettering

Detailed posts on modifications and projects.
onremlop

Post by onremlop »

Hello all

Our Telstar is about 50 miles away hermetically sealed in a shed and we want to get her namesake tattooed on her amas. Can someone give us the dimensions (height/length) of the ama? How tall is the ama towards the bow and then towards the stern? Any help would be appreciated. We plan on pulling her from her winter shed in a couple weeks and getting her ready for the water. Thanks,
Dan

Post by Dan »

While I don’t have specific measurements, I can give you a pretty good idea of sizing the artwork. In the photo below, you can see how big the amas are. The distance between the hull-deck join of the ama to the waterline shown by the bottom paint is about 18" or so where the lettering is. The cap height on the lettering on my boat was about 12" IIRC. I hope this helps. If you need specific measurements, let me know, and next time I’m at the boat, I can take some for you.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Dan,
Just curious - is the name painted on or vinyl lettering? If Vinyl where did it come from, how did you find it to install and how are you finding it is holding up.
Jerry
Dan

Post by Dan »

Jerry—

The logo and lettering is vinyl and was done by these guys:

Designs & Signs
1036 Carrs Wharf Road
Edgewater, MD 21037
P: 410.798.5115
F: 301.261.7607
www.designsandsignsonline.com

It has held up quite well. They did the installation of the lettering as well. They also gave me the lettering and logo in electronic form, which I've since used on custom hats. :)
Jerry wrote:Dan,
Just curious - is the name painted on or vinyl lettering? If Vinyl where did it come from, how did you find it to install and how are you finding it is holding up.
Jerry
Ron

Post by Ron »

Jerry -

Most boat names are now vinyl. You can get it made and/or order it from a number of places and on the internet, and Boat US and other marine stores. I've even seen booths or stores that do this in some shopping malls and flea markets, and places that make up commercial signs will do it too. There are hundreds of fonts and many colors, and perhaps thousands of pictures which can be cut out of vinyl to go with the name. Vinyl stipes are also available in many widths and colors. What ever you get, make sure the material is suitable for a marine environment and has a reasonable life span. Some of the cheaper vinyls won't last there.

Vinyl is the way to go. It can last a long time and is fairly easy to remove (with a hair dryer).

Forgot the exact size, but mine is about 10 inch high slanted block letters with 3 stripes (about 8 feet long) above, below and almost thru it. Got the name at a flea market and the stripes over the internet. I have a vinyl sticker to go with it but have not put it on yet (and may never do it).

Note that the Coast Guard has lettering style and size requirements for boat name and hailing port. They state block letters but a quarter of the boats out there are script.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
gary green

Post by gary green »

I also had mine done by my local sign maker that specializes in boat lettering. I also took a scan of a tee-shirt that has the cat nestled inside the letter "C." As part of making the sign they also installed it. After about four years it is holding up very well. They also made and installed my hailing port which was installed on the transom above the engine fuel locker. I've enclosed a picture.

gary g.
Ron

Post by Ron »

"Tri-Power"'s current lettering, sans "Moon-Eyes" vinyl decal (which probably will never get stuck on). It was very easy to do myself. Name, hailing port and tape must have cost around $60 in total. I think the USCG gave up on requiring block style letters on the name. Current standards just state "legible".
Ron Marcuse
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Thanks everyone for the ideas and photos. With the name Peregrine I would also like to have a silhouette but want it of the right bird and so far have not found one.

I have been looking at Boat US but think there is a sign place nearby. Thanks for the idea.

Another question - do any of you have photos of the stern name, port of call and approximate size it needs to fit into?

I want to order this all before I pick the boat up so I can install it as soon as i get home to minimize my time to the water.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Letters have to be at least 4 inces tall. Here's a sample of what you can do -

Ron Marcuse
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I am not seeing registration numbers on any of these pictures.

Are they not required where you folks are sailing or have you each documented your boats? If you have gone through documentation why and how difficult was it?