Size of ama for boat lettering

Detailed posts on modifications and projects.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Jerry -

The boat is documented. No state numbers allowed. The documentation is a federal title so most states will not even bother to title the boat, although there ae a few (NJ is one) who require it and are probably in violation of federal law. If you have any intention of ever going even a little offshore (Bahama's, etc.), it's the correct thing to do. State registrations are worthless in any other country. Most ship's mortgages / boat loans will also require it.

You can either pay some service to do it for you (perhaps $400 to $500 or so) or do it yourself for about $130). It's fairly easy and should take no more than a few weeks at best. PCI should be able to supply you with some of the forms and/or information you'll need. I think PCI has a Builders Certificate now which will save you the hassle of filling out an Application for Simplified Measurement.

This is the Coast Guard site - http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
dcsailing1

Post by dcsailing1 »

Jerry wrote:Another question - do any of you have photos of the stern name, port of call and approximate size it needs to fit into?

I want to order this all before I pick the boat up so I can install it as soon as i get home to minimize my time to the water.
I measured and you have about 29" width (flat) by about 14 1/2" (high) to work with for the hailing port letters. I will try and attach a photo of our with 4" high letters. Now state registered but ready to document if we decide to.
It would be better to use two lines with the state on the second like Ron did, oh well next time.

The name letters on the ama are 9" high by about 70" long for reference.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Ron and/or anyone with a USCG Documented Telstar.

Can you tell me how and where you put the USCG ID? I can find plenty of places for 3" lettering on a "clearly visible structural part of the hull" but am not sure how to "permanently affix" it and could use some ideas. I see services that provide plaques but I am going to want to do this is a very short period of time.

The great state of VT has me in a Catch 22 and waiting for the documentation to arrive before I can put my boat in the water. Seems I need the documentation in hand before they will let me "Apply for Vessel validation", pay my state sales tax and gain the privilege to put it in state waters.

Jerry
Ron

Post by Ron »

Jerry -

The boat's up on the lift now. I'm taking it down tomorrow. I remember buying a fairly inexpensive plaque (maybe $15 to $20 - not wood) but I forgot what I bolted and/or epoxied it too. I think it was somewhere in the head area. On some other boats I had bought number stickers which I stuck to either bulkheads or other structures, then I used a clear epoxy (or similar) finish over it to make it "unremovable without causing damage". I believe that the CG originally allowed it to be somewhat hidden (e.g. - under a lift-up floor hatch) but now they seem to say "visible". I'd check first on their definition of "visible" before I permanently fasten anything to the boat.

A documented boat may not need a state title and that could be the reason why they want to see it.
Ron Marcuse
gary green

Post by gary green »

I bought a regulation sized engraved plaque that I found on the internet. I epoxied my plaque in the gallery to the left of my solar regulator and its electrical panel.

I have included a picture.

gary g
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Ron/Gary,

Thanks for the ideas. I think I will see if I can get a plaque made locally quickly - if not the epoky over lettering will get me on the water quick.

Again thanks.

And yes the issue with VT is that they do not title but in reality they deal with so few documented boats I ended up on the phone with the DMV State Commissioners office. The day after I get the USCG documentation I am planning on wasting a day by going to the DMV in Montpelier (VT Capital) early in the day and not leave when I have what I need to launch.

Jerry
Ron

Post by Ron »

The documentation number plate must have been on another boat. I stuck these numbers on the sole under the lift up cover for the water tank, forward of the inspection hole. I had taped around it and then sprayed an epoxy based clear coating on top - thereby making the number "unremovable without causing damage". But there is a queston of "clearly visibible" - you don't see it until you raise the cover. The CG at one time would allow this - as long as you did not have to physically disassemble anything. Lifitng a loose floor plate was OK.
Ron Marcuse
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I want to thank you all for ideas and sizing on the boat lettering. In the end I went with a 12" capital letter and 14" on the graphic.
A local firm was able to do the whole thing (including the graphics) for a little less then the Boat US site cost (w/o graphics).

Now all I have to wait for is the submitted USCG documentation to return so I can keep Vermont happy.

Thanks again.
onremlop

Post by onremlop »

Thanks for all the help on the sizing of the lettering. We added our name, 3Sum, to our boat and it came out looking really well.