Bow forestay repair

Detailed posts on modifications and projects.
Cathyalan

Bow forestay repair

Post by Cathyalan »

The bow ring and SS tang pulled out of the bow on our Telstar 28, Cathyalan. In April I'm going to start fixing it with some expert help. I need some photos and some exacting measurements so I can get the SS tang that attaches to the bow and the forestay attaches to, installed properly.

Essentially I need the angle at the top of the SS tang (since my bar was mis-shapen in the accident), the distance from deck to top of bar, and maybe a couple side pictures of an intact SS tang.

The tang did get mis-shapen and I am wondering if I will have any strength issues after I re-shape it? Where can I get a new one if need be?

Hope you can help us out here.

I tried to send pictures but got this error when I tried: Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.

Alan
Cathy & Alan #313
Graham

Bow forestay repair

Post by Graham »

Alan, Tony used alot of Schaefer parts try there first. The Tang should be able to be straightened out if it is not too bent and even then it can be straightened. Just don't muscle it so that you put stress cracks in the SS. Only problem is with out the proper equipment(machine tools) the Tang will look like it was straightened in a vise if you know what I mean. If this doesn't work let me know and I might be able to hunt one up in my bag of extra parts that I have for my boat. Graham
Cathyalan

Bow forestay repair

Post by Cathyalan »

Thanks for the reply Graham.
I am getting no other replies. Could you please take a side view picture of your bow up close with a ruler standing upright next to the bow tang so I at least of good feeling for the angle and the height.
I think I can use my old tang. It's a little out of shape but appears solid.
Thanks
Alan
Cathy & Alan #313
Cathyalan

Bow forestay repair

Post by Cathyalan »

Thank you Michel, that would be greatly appreciated. we start repair work on Monday.

Alan
Cathy & Alan #313
Graham

Bow forestay repair

Post by Graham »

Sorry for not getting back to you Alan. My boat is an hour away and covered at the moment. I am not going to it until this Thursday, I will take photos and measurements then. Graham
Cathyalan

Bow forestay repair

Post by Cathyalan »

Thank you very much Michel, the pictures and relationship measurements are perfect.
I owe you one!

Alan
Cathy & Alan #313
Cathyalan

Bow forestay repair

Post by Cathyalan »

A really steep boat launch in Spanish, Ontario, Canada on Lake Huron. I didn't move the trailer roller forward enough and neglected to ease the winch a bit as she came out of the water. Dumb and expensive error. A lesson for all.
Alan
Cathy & Alan #313