Garhauer line control genoa cars

Detailed posts on modifications and projects.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Since the topic did not really belong under "Member Benefits", although it is one, I'm starting a new topic here to continue the thread.

The cars have been shipped, should get them in 3 or 4 days. The system is comprised of a pin fixed car with 2 sheeves in a fiddle arrangement, a ball bearing sliding car with a single sheeve and becket, and a pin fixed car with swivel cam cleat for each side of the boat. It will be lower and narrower than their EZ-Glide 2-UB system so it will make it onto our tracks that are mounted close to the cabin sides and windows. All of the blocks / sheeves have ball bearings as well. Very easy to install and no holes to drill. Only tricky part is sliding the ball bearing car onto the track without losing the ball bearings. You have to hold the short shipping track up to your track and push the car back.

Our cost is $318.00 per boat plus shipping. You probably can't do something like this for under $800 with any other manufacturer, and Garhauer is doing this custom setup for our association at a very, very good price. Their higher priced standard genoa car systems will not work on the boat anyway.

An overview of why you may want to order this system - you will be able to adjust the sheeting angle on the genoa on the leeward side of the boat (while under pressure) from the cockpit. No fuss, no scraped knuckles - just pull or release the line and the car will move. In any sort of wind you would normally have to tack the boat to do that car while the sheet is loose - possibly again and again to get it right.

Once I verify that the system fits, you will be able to order one from Garhauer at the above price. The orders may have to go thru the association - it depends on how Garhauer wants to handle it.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Dan

Post by Dan »

The new Garhauer system is similar to the one I installed on my boat at the beginning of last season, which is also by Garhauer and looks like this:
Mark G

Post by Mark G »

Did Garhauer say anything about how they want us to order the genoa system - thru the assoc or direct?
Ron

Post by Ron »

Mark -

Haven't worked it out yet. The cars are sitting in my neighbors house down in Florida. I won't be back for a week or so. Once I verify that they fit and work I'll figure out the procedure. I'd rather it was done directly thru them but they might want to make it into a group thing. The price will be $318 plus shipping. They charged my card for $330 and thats for delivery just about as far away from California as you can get.
Ron Marcuse
Mark G

Post by Mark G »

Either way. I really appreciate your working it out.
Ron

Post by Ron »

OK - I'm back in Florida, and have installed the genoa cars. Very easy to install as long as you carefully align the shipping track with the genoa track - otherwise the bearings will be all over the place. You've got to unscrew the cap (stopper) at the front of the track to get the old car off and the 3 new cars on. Use a polysulphide to seal the cap and screw. The new cars should fit ALL of the boats. On mine the highest part of the car is about 1/2 inch below the window area and the widest part is maybe 3/4 inch from the cabin sides. They would have made it even if the window was lower. The standard systems will NOT work - I had Garhauer totally modify their system to fit, and we have a ball bearing double sheave (fiddle arrangement) stationary car in front, a ball bearing sliding car in the middle with a sheave and becket, and the swivel locking cam cleat car in back. Everything that moves has real bearings. Besides this hardware you will need two 26 foot lengths of 5/16 line and about 5 feet of 1/4 or 5/16 bungee cord.

The quality of the hardware is first rate - there is nothing better around at any price. The cars will cost $318 for the set plus about $12 shipping. This is an absolute bargain. The production Garhauer system is about 30 - 40% higher and others made by Schaeffer or Harkin will easily cost over $1000. I used 5/16 Stayset for the lines, and that ran about $33 at West Marine (on sale). Order it directly from Garhauer with a phone call but you MUST specify the custom EZG-2UB genoa car system MADE SPECIALLY FOR THE TELSTAR 28 and that the price includes the optional cam cleats. Maybe mention my name as well - Bill and I go back many years. The phone number is 909 985-9993 and they accept credit cards. Ordering it thru the website may result in the wrong system being shipped.

The system works extremely well. You can easily move the car with just about any load on the active geneoa sheet. No need to tack to adjust it or to lose any fingers if you don't tack. This has to be one of the best improvements you can do for the boat. Pictures follow:

Last edited by Ron on Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:
Ron Marcuse