Garhauer line control genoa cars

Detailed posts on modifications and projects.
gary green

Post by gary green »

Hi Ron,

I will take the measurements when down at the boat this weekend since I need to install my two 4-Ds back on the boat, ugh!!! I do have turning blocks for the genoa on the stanchion rails which are hidded by the dock lines. The block at the end of the track was the original adjustable car for my genny when I purchased the boat. I use it to keep the line staright to the turning block on the stanchion.

The enclosed picture without all the other blocks for the spinnaker, dock lines and dodger may make it a little clearer as to how its all rigged.

gary g.
Mark G

Post by Mark G »

I haven't sent the cars back and what's one more time. I'm going to try again to determine what went wrong. but I don't think it's Guido's fault or yours. I think they simply put my track too close to the cabin. It's possible there is a bend in it, but I don't think so. I measured at the forward end of the track, but farther aft, is almost impossible to see. What really ticks me off is that I FINALLY got the car installed without losing a single bearing.
gary green

Post by gary green »

Hi ron,

I went down to my boat to take measurements of my Schaffer cars and track to cabin. The Schaffer Traveler car has a width of 1 5/8". The inner most part of the track to the cabin where it is the closest to the cabin measures a distance of 13/16". Given that the track is 1 1/4", the distance from the center of the track to the closest part of the cabin measures 1 7/16". A very close fit.

gary g.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Gary -

The Schaeffer cars are just about the same width as the Garhauer cars. I measured mine at just under 1 3/4 inch. Mark's track seems to be a little closer than yours - 1/2 inch from the edge as compared to your 13/16. But, in theory, both cars should fit all of the boats. You've got to remember that only half of the car is on the inside of the track centerline - or just under 7/8 inches. With the track centerline to cabin dimension at 1 7/16 in your case and 1 1/8 on his, the 7/8 SHOULD have made it. His track must be angled a drop so the forward end is even closer.

The newer boats must have a minimum of 2 inches between the tracks and cabin and the tracks are angled a drop as well. Based on the various photo's, it looks like they made a modification to the deck mold sometime before my # 359 hull. But anyone with at least 1/2 inch between the inside edge of the track and the cabin along the entire length of the track should be able to install either system.

If I knew that there was less than 1/2 inch I would have had Garhauer use even smaller sheaves (1 3/8 ?) on the car.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"