Tiller length

Detailed posts on modifications and projects.
Ron

Tiller length

Post by Ron »

Things are finally starting to move on the short tiller.

H&L Marine Woodwork actually called me back. I had called them a week or two ago when I hadn't heard anything from PC. The International Telstar Owners Associaion must be getting famous. They would be willing to sell us the tiller with an inital order of 5, and maybe with drop shipping. They will call back today with a price. I'd have to send them a check for the order. Future orders could be lower quantities, maybe 3 at time at the same price. The Association will not make any money off of this - we'd just have to cover our expenses.

Steve from Performance Cruising sent me an email. They want $103.96 for each tiller plus UPS shipping (figure $10 to $15 depending on distance). They have none is stock.

I'll post something when I get the call back from H&L.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Ron

Tiller length

Post by Ron »

OK - The International Telstar Owners Association is now a dealer for the H&L Marine Woodwork 36 inch tiller for the Telstar 28. I suppose that we can order any of their wood products, but I'd rather hold it to our tillers for now. If I had the specs, I could include tillers for the 26 and 8M.

The price is $46.80 for the varnished mahogony and ash tiller. It is the new short tiller that PC is putting on the new boats. Lucky that PC was VERY slow in getting back to me and I thought I had to contact H&L to get them. We will wind up saving about $57 on each one. Shipping via UPS should be in the $15 range. Specs are -

Length - 36 inches
Butt end - 2 inches x 1 1/2 inches
Rise is approximately 7 inches - same as the original 43 inch version.

You will have to drill the holes to fit the Edson fitting on the tiller shaft. Easy job - you can carefully tape the two together and use the old one as the jig to drill the new holes, or bring the Edson fitting home and do it there with better tools. I used some blue masking tape and a rechargable drill at the boat. Took maybe 5 minutes to do the whole job.

I asked Dan to do something on the web site so you can use Paypal to order one, but until that is done a check mailed to me will be OK. Let me know NOW so I can tell H&L your address so they can compute the UPS charges first. I was planning on buying 5 of them now, but that number can be easily increased. It will be easier to do it this way - if they're shipped to me I will have to repackage them and ship them again - adding to the cost.

$10 a year dues and you'll wind up saving over $57 immediately. More benefits to come.
Ron Marcuse
dcsailing1

Tiller length

Post by dcsailing1 »

Good job Ron!. I'll take one shipped to 97411 please. Advise amount and when Dan has the PP set up will get the funds to you.
PS. Perhaps the group should make a small profit, ie: 10% or so to put in the kitty and or reimburse you and others for extra work at some point?
Ron

Tiller length

Post by Ron »

You think you're dealing with the government? Not interested in making a profit. But I may tack on about $2.00 to cover the Paypal cost when we go that route. I haven't heard from Dan in quite a while, so I think we have to go the check route until he gets back from wherever he went to.

I'm going to order them as soon as at least 5 owners commit. I spoke to H&L and we'll do a $15.00 shipping charge per tiller, some may be a drop less, some a drop more, but it should even out at $62 with shipping. Anyone who wants one, send me your address NOW via a personal message (so I can verify what's in the data base). Since it will take a few weeks to build them, I will place the order and pay for them as soon as possible, and we'll cover it when your checks arrive in a few days. We've got enough in the bank to deal with the small delay.

Make the $62 check out to International Telstar Owners Associaton and mail it to me (the post office here may not know about the ITOA, but Florida does) -

Ronald Marcuse
168 Coachman Drive N
Freehold NJ 07728

You guys with the older boats - get me the specs and H&L will build brand new tillers for you at about the same price.
Ron Marcuse
Mark G

Tiller length

Post by Mark G »

Ron,

I'd like one please. I'll try to send a private message with shipping address.
Ron

Tiller length

Post by Ron »

H&L has drop-shipped 7 short tillers to the individual buyers. You should start receiving them in a day or two. I'd like to verify that they are supplying the correct tiller for the boat. The specs are -

Length - 36 inches
Butt end - 2 inches high, 1 1/2 inches wide
Rise - about 8 inches, meaning that the working end is about 8 inches higher than the butt end
They should look like "F/G" below, and heavily varnished.

Could the first person to get it confirm the above. Anyone else who wants one - let me know. The price is now $63 each with shipping. Had to raise it by $1.00 because UPS came in a little higher that we thought. Shop around - this is basically a half price group offer. And even better if it's considered to be "custom" (figure $180 to $200 that way).
Ron Marcuse
Mark G

Tiller length

Post by Mark G »

Ron.

Fantastic Job. Mine just arrived 5 minutes ago. Measurements check. Beautiful worksmanship.
dcsailing1

Tiller length

Post by dcsailing1 »

X two. Thank you Ron for arranging this.
Ron

Tiller length

Post by Ron »

Dan Kim -

I've tried to reach you a dozen times - by Private Message in this forum and email. No response yet. Did you change your id's? Would have phoned, but I don't have your number. I need a $62 check for the short tiller that you ordered and was shipped to you. Everyone else has paid months ago. The Association layed out the money and I'd like to put it back in the account. Thanks.

If anyone else wants one, let me know. It makes the cockpit a lot more liveable. 36 inches is just about perfect. No more hitting everyone in the knees (or elsewhere) when you tack. The price is less than half of what it would cost anywhere else. We're an H&L Marine Woodwork distributor who makes no profit. I'm pretty sure we can order parts for the older boats as well - all at cost.
Ron Marcuse