Tiller length

Detailed posts on modifications and projects.
Mark G

Tiller length

Post by Mark G »

I'm # 3 in line
Ron

Tiller length

Post by Ron »

PC has ordered a few shorter tillers for evaluation - around 36 inches long as opposed to the original 43. They are going to be approximately the same shape, but with the end of the handle a few inches shorter. The autopilot bracket and any bracket for a tiller extension should fit. Once we know that everything fits and will works, we may be able to buy them from PC, otherwise we could do a group order directly from the manufacturer. Since it will be a "productiion" part now, the price should be reasonable. More to come in a few weeks.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Mark G

Tiller length

Post by Mark G »

If PCI doesn't like them, I'll be willing to buy one from them. Otherwise, I'll wait in line with the rest of youse guys.
Ron

Tiller length

Post by Ron »

We'll all wind up with them, if you want it. I thought it was a better idea to let PC work with the manufacturer. They carry a lot more weight, and getting that size into "production" will drop the price to 1/4 of a custom job. Figure maybe a month or so till everything gets worked out. Most of the boats are still on the hard anyway.
Ron Marcuse
Jerry

Tiller length

Post by Jerry »

I was at the factory yesterday to see my boat in production and go test sailing with Will.

Apparently mine will be the first boat "off the line" with a 36" tiller.

Gorgeous sailing day but very cold. Hit somewhere around 15.2 knots. This was the last hurdle for me since it is the first chance I had to actually be on a Telstar under sail. So now I have sailed on a 28 Corsair, a 31 Corsair and I am sold on the 28 Telstar.

No more indecision and looking very forward to delivery next month.
Dan

Tiller length

Post by Dan »

Jerry—

I take it you didn’t sail a boat with a 36" tiller yet?

IMHO, there really is no comparison between the Corsair 28 and the Telstar 28. The Corsair is fine if you’re into camping on the water, with a porta-pottie, camp stove and are the height of an Oompa-Loompah. The Corsair 31 is really much more comparable to the Telstar 28, but it is almost twice the price as well.

The mast raising system on the Telstar 28 just blows the gin pole system on the Corsairs away. The cabin on the Telstar 28 is almost as big as that on the Corsair 31—as I know, since I measured them both. :D The fact that you need a wrench and bolts to lock the amas in position on the Corsairs was also a negative, especially compared to the much more convenient line clutch system used on the Telstar—drop the bolts or thw wrench in the water and you’re in for a bad day.. The clincher for me was the fact that a Telstar can be kept in a single-width slip without any issues—which is not possible with the Corsairs, due to the ama-folding design, which would leave the topsides of the amas in the water when folded. :D
Jerry

Tiller length

Post by Jerry »

Dan,
I did not sail it with the 36" Tiller but I also do not think my hand was anywhere near within 6" of the end of the tiller while sailing.
BTY I sent you a PM on the holding tank but for some reason it is stuck in my outbox. Although WIll had thought it would be changed on my boat the location was not changed.
Tony is still thinking about it but has not done it yet.
Jerry
simonhayes

Tiller length

Post by simonhayes »

Any update on when we may be able to get the shorter tillers from PCI or elsewhere ? My tiller has a crack in it ( I fell over on it when we unexpectedly hit a big wave ) and I want to replace it.

Thanks

Simon
Ex-Telstar 28 Owner
San Francisco Bay, CA
Ron

Tiller length

Post by Ron »

Simon -

The new boats are supposedly coming with them now. You can call PCI to see when they'd have some extras to sell. Will promised me one in about a week or two. Not sure about the price yet, but it should be under $100.
Ron Marcuse
Jerry

Tiller length

Post by Jerry »

I think I am the first to come out of the factory with the shorter tiller and it works very well.
Finally sailed Sat and had a great time.
Jerry