Tiller length

Detailed posts on modifications and projects.
Ron

Tiller length

Post by Ron »

Jerry -

I'm looking forward to the short tiller. Get a few people in the cockpit and the long one really gets in the way. 36 inches should be a good compromise. As a multihull, we don't really need the extra force the long one generates.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
gary green

Tiller length

Post by gary green »

Has anyone thought about cutting the existing tiller down. I have an extensive wooworking shop and was thinking how best to take mine and redesign it since it already has the auto-pilot bracket installed.

gary g.
Ron

Tiller length

Post by Ron »

You can cut it down, but you'll lose the wider hand grip at the end, and it will require refinishing as well. I think the price will be reasonable. I've seen production tillers made by H&L Marine Woodwork selling for around $70 (at Defender). Our orginal 43 inch tiller (made for a Catalina 25) sells there for $67. I wanted to do it thru PCI so it would become a production item at H&L. A custom tiller would triple the cost.
Ron Marcuse
Mark G

Tiller length

Post by Mark G »

Has anyone heard when or if the shorter tiller will become available?
Ron

Tiller length

Post by Ron »

Will promised me one "soon" about 2 to 3 weeks ago. It was my idea so he decided to put my name at the top of the list for replacements. I'm still waiting. I'll remind him and also let him know that there a few owners out there who want it too. As a starter, he should order at least a dozen from the manufacturer - for us and production. It has apparently worked out very well in the new boats that come with it. It had too - the original one was way too big for a boat that has a cockpit on the small side and almost no weather helm.
Ron Marcuse
andrewm

Tiller length

Post by andrewm »

gary green wrote:Has anyone thought about cutting the existing tiller down. I have an extensive wooworking shop and was thinking how best to take mine and redesign it since it already has the auto-pilot bracket installed.

gary g.
I cut 8" off mine, an easy job. I rounded the end and gave it some varnish. Works fine, and as everyone says, makes more room in the cockpit.
Now I'm looking for a 36" tiller cover, but they don't seem to come in that length.

Andrewm
Ron

Tiller length

Post by Ron »

Andrew -

The canvas shop at Defender will make up a custom one for a reasonable price. I had mine made there with extra material where the autopilot bracket is. Same price as the standard covers. I'll probably have to go back to them when I get the new tiller.
Ron Marcuse
Ron

Tiller length

Post by Ron »

I've been using the new 36 inch tiller for about 3 weeks now. Much better than the stock 43 inch. You can swing it around in the cockpit without hitting everyone there. I suppose it could have been a drop shorter, but that could cause a problem for anyone who has a tiller extender. 36 inches seems to be the perfect size for the Telstar. The boat has little if any weatherhelm so you don't need a huge stick to steer it. I'm still waiting for a price from PCI.

It seems that we can order them from anyone who carries H&L Marine Woodwork products, so I'll call them tomorrow to try to find out the part number. Mine, one of the first prototypes, didn't seem to have one. Defender told me that they can order special ones if they know the part number. If it's a production part now, the price should be around $75 plus shipping. If H&L calls it "custom" then it could be anything. They normally do not sell to individuals, but the Association may be able to order them directly from H&L with some minimum quantity - if PCI wants to get out of the parts business. Give me an idea of how many of you may want this.
Ron Marcuse
drsm

Tiller length

Post by drsm »

One for me, thanks

Steve
Dan

Tiller length

Post by Dan »

One for me as well... I think it could be even shorter... but that's just me...