Tiller length

Detailed posts on modifications and projects.
Ron

Tiller length

Post by Ron »

Does anyone else think that the stock 43 inch tiller arm is a little too long considering the minimal forces involved and the size of the cockpit? Mine is 43 inches long and I'm assuming that all of the others are the same. I think something in the 36 inch range with a similar shape would be a better choice. We could probably cut maybe 3 inches off of the butt end but that would probably not be enough to matter, and would spoil the angle for the autopilot if you have one. Cutting off the other end would spoil the shape, and we'd have to refinish the ends as well.

I'm pretty sure that they're made by "H & L Marine Wookwork" and ours appears to be the version that fits a Catalina 25 and J24, amongst others. You can get them for about $60 but custom could easily double or triple that price. If enough owners want to go shorter, we could contact the manufacturer and see what they would do for 10 or so tlllers.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Mark G

Tiller length

Post by Mark G »

I'd sure consider it. I thought about taking a saw to it before I took delivery and about once a sail since.
Ron

Tiller length

Post by Ron »

I've mentoned this to Will before, and he said he'd think it over. If we can get them to consider a shorter design, I'm sure H&L will work with PCI more than with us. He can order a bunch and we'll buy some off of PCI. Otherwise, I'll contact H&L myself and see what happens. The more interest we get, the better the chance of them doing it. I don't want to pay the "custom" price.

As a last resort, I will take a saw to it. But I'd rather not lose the grip at the end and the nice finish.
Ron Marcuse
Dan

Tiller length

Post by Dan »

Yes, I'd agree, that a shorter tiller would probably be a good thing. I’m with Mark, that I generally think about shortening the tiller about once a sail or so.
Mark G

Tiller length

Post by Mark G »

HAVE YOU TALKED TO WILL RECENTLY ABOUT THE TILLER LENGTH?
Ron

Tiller length

Post by Ron »

Mark -

We're up in NJ now for another week or so. I've got to take care of a few things when we get back to FL. The parts for the genoa car system came in and a neighbor took delivery, figure out what I want to do with the barber hauler, and talk to Will and the company who makes the tillers. I hope to get to all of these things within a few weeks.
Ron Marcuse
Mark G

Tiller length

Post by Mark G »

Ron,

You'll be glad to get back south. It was about 70 today with a nice breeze and beautiful sky. Not the kind of weather you see much in NJ in winter.
Ron

Tiller length

Post by Ron »

Surprisingly, it hit 60 degrees here today (in NJ). But that won't last for much longer.
Ron Marcuse
Ron

Tiller length

Post by Ron »

Spoke to Will. They're interested in going with a shorter tiller on the new boats - about 36 inches and the same basic shape. They buy them directly from H&L Marine Woodwork and it seems to be the Catalina 25 43" tiller assembly. I'll call H&L in a few days, but I need an idea of how many owners would be interested in replacing theirs. H&L will do 1-off custom jobs but at a much higher price ($200+ range). If we could find 5 or 10 people who want to do it OR if PCI decides to switch to the shorter one the price will probably drop down to about $65.

I want to do this because the 43 inch tiller totally interferes with any crew or guests that you have in the cockpit, especially when racing or if there is 3 or 4 people trying to find a place to sit. I will invariably hit someone in the back or elsewhere when tacking. A multihull does not need the extra length, with limited heeling the forces involved are a a fraction of a monohull. Has anyone ever had to apply any real force to the longer tiller to turn the boat?

Please let me know if you're interested in doing this. The price will depend on the quantity. If PCI winds up doing it too, maybe we can get them to buy a few extras and we can order it from them? The bigger the number, the more likely that H&L will be willing to create a new "production" model.
Ron Marcuse
Dan

Tiller length

Post by Dan »

Count me in.