Barber hauler

Detailed posts on modifications and projects.
Ron

Barber hauler

Post by Ron »

My next project is going to be a barber hauler - a line which allows you to control the horizontal side-to-side position of the genoa's clew by pulling it inboard or outboard. In my case, I'm shooting for outboard only. I think the track is already positioned as far inboard as I want it - any closer and the sail will be on top of the shrouds. This could be very effective on a reach because you then have the ability to increase the size of the slot between the two sails. I've sailed and raced on a few Corsairs which have this type of system and it seems to work. I've also rigged barber haulers on large monohulls with similar results while reaching.

I'm leaning towards mounting around 3 or 4 feet of 1 1/4 inch track on the top edge of the ama's skinny coaming, skewed a litlle more towards the back of the boat, then using a pin-lock slide car with welded shackle, a fiddle with snap shackle clipped to the outboard slide car, and a single block with snap shackle and becket attached inboard on the sheet itself. This would be a 3 to 1 purchase with the other end of the line (5/16 ?) running into the cockpit. Not sure how I'll cleat it - maybe a cam cleat or using one of the 4 extra cleats that I already installed on top of the cockpit's coaming. I would probably add a sliding cleat onto the rail as well - to hang a fender or ??

The tracks will easily make it under the deck mold when folded, but the sliding car and other hardware will probably have to be taken off. Just slide it off and store it below (or in the ama's?).

After looking at the Garhauer catalog and picking out parts, the list prices of two 4 foot tracks is around $80, the sliding cars $29 each, the fiddle with snap shackle is $43, and the single block with becket and snap shackle is $45. I'd need 2 tracks and probably 2 cars, but I'd move one copy of the pulley assembly around as needed. I think we can get a good discount (30% ?) if others want to do it too. I'll look into this after we get the line control genoa cars ordered (and installed in my case).
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Dan

Barber hauler

Post by Dan »

Do you have good enough access to that area of the ama to through-bolt and back the track as necessary???
Ron

Barber hauler

Post by Ron »

Dan -

That's one of the reasons why I want to do 3 feet of track, with about 2 1/2 behind the hatch - any longer will require someone to crawl inside, and I won't fit.
Ron Marcuse
Ron

Barber hauler

Post by Ron »

Dan -

I'm thinking 4 feet of track now. With the front ending at about the forward end of the ama hatch. This works for me, because I want to slide a cleat onto the track to hold a fender. I keep the boat at my dock opened and hanging a fender near the forward end of the hatch will work for me - because I have a piling at that point. If anyone else does this, they can make the track as long (or as short) as the want. But you should try to get a good angle on the genoa clew. I'd go longer but I don't think I can thru-bolt the track much more than 2 1/2 feet aft of the hatch. There's absolutely no way that I'd be able to crawl into the ama.
Ron Marcuse