Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Detailed posts on modifications and projects.
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

After the epoxy on the back rail was cured, I scarfed a piece of teak onto the front rail.

Scarf.jpg (16.17 KiB) Viewed 432 times

After that, I glued the front rail in-place.

FrontRail.jpg (16.84 KiB) Viewed 432 times

And finally, added a 48" shim to make sure the piano hinge on the upper bunk will have a proper point to rotate. Everything is screwed together as well as being epoxied or glued.

Finished.jpg (15.69 KiB) Viewed 432 times

Now that I have the anchor for the bunk, I'm ready to start assembling the bunks themselves.

Lou
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

Started on the lower bunk. Here is the frame being fitted.

Undersidebunk2.jpg (13.66 KiB) Viewed 422 times

I elected to turn the frame on its side in spite of the loss of strength in this orientation. The bunk is the perfect height with the 1" width and is too high with the 2" height. Here is the underside frame cut to size.

UndersideBunk.jpg (16.14 KiB) Viewed 422 times

The bolts on the port side bracket would interfere with the placement I wanted on the bottom bunk so I had to make room in the bottom frame. It's not pretty but it works.

Bolts.jpg (12.98 KiB) Viewed 422 times

(cont.)
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

BTW, here is the scarfed joint installed. It just needs a bit of filler and some sanding.

Scarf2.jpg (9.98 KiB) Viewed 422 times

The bottom bunk falls 2" in its 6' length in relation to the shelf rail. The problem is that the seat back is going to take on the level of the rail, which it is going to be attached to. I can make up about an 1" in play by keeping the seat back just above the lower bunk. With a 1" shim on the right side of the bunk, it looks a lot better. I am considering incorporating this shim into a base for the bottom bunk (a kind of subframe).

Shimmed.jpg (13.96 KiB) Viewed 422 times

When shimmed, you can see that it is close to the line of the shelf and the seatback won't look odd.

Level.jpg (12.84 KiB) Viewed 422 times

I am wandering out to the boat earlier and earlier after work each day. With the solstace upon me, I am feeling the need to move faster.

Lou
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

With the bottom basically finished, I need to figure the height of the rail on the base and position the back so that it can be hinged and pivot. Here is the base in place with the back close to its marks.

FittedBack.jpg (14.99 KiB) Viewed 410 times

Here is a bress piano hinge dry fitted. No question that the measurements are correct and the hinge fits. The piano hing just doesn't look strong enough for me. I am re-thinking this and considering three larger stainless hinges.

hinge.jpg (14.04 KiB) Viewed 410 times

Lou
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

The bunks are built and ready for final fitting. The rails on the bunks are recycled teak from the original outside rail along the amas.

Recycle.jpg (14.81 KiB) Viewed 395 times

The back is capped off with oak lattice.

Capping.jpg (11.46 KiB) Viewed 395 times

With the bottom in-place, the top is refitted.

Fitting.jpg (16.84 KiB) Viewed 395 times

(cont.)
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

Here is the top with the rails and subframe attached (smaller teak used for the top rail).

Top Trimmed.jpg (14.94 KiB) Viewed 395 times

Here is some idea of the size. I fit so I guess my kids will fit fine.

Size.jpg (14.26 KiB) Viewed 395 times

And here is the top and bottom fitted in-place so that the bottom can accommodate a 3" foam cushion. Next step is a final fitting and hinging the top bunk.

Ready.jpg (12.07 KiB) Viewed 395 times

Lou
Last edited by luigisante on Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: