Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Detailed posts on modifications and projects.
Andre

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by Andre »

Lou
Great job on the interior of your boat. I enjoy your updates and seeing the progress you have made. In response to a couple of your posts, I made a water tank for the forward area under the bunk It takes up the whole space and holds 13 gallons. Corian of any thickness is hard to get a hold of in less than full sheets. I too was looking for some 1/4 inch thick for my counters. I planed to put it over plywood so I was not worried about its flexibility. I never did find any remnants that fit my requirements, Ebay and Craigslist were a good place to look. For flooring you could look here http://www.tekdekusa.com/ I made my floor from prefinished engineered flooring bought at the home store. I epoxied it to the plywood sub-floor and its held up well. I look forward to your future posts.

Andre
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

Main Cabin Liner ...

Spent much of the weekend working on the liner for the main cabin. The liner in the main cabin fits between the round half pipe glassed onto the hull about 10-12" up from the bilge. It is the one area that will not be covered by the setee or the galley so it had to look nice and wear well. I used the same fiberglass sheet that I used in the forepeak. The first piece was the longest and hardest to fit becuase it ran along the starboard side of the main hull and had to be fitted in the small bulkheads that supported the floor.

Liner.jpg (50.6 KiB) Viewed 674 times

I've spent a lot of time smoothing out the seam between the bulkhead and the starboard hull between the forepeak and the main cabin. You can see how nice it looks with the liner in-place.

Liner3.jpg (147.01 KiB) Viewed 674 times

Even though the floor is only 3/8" thick, it hides all of the cuts needed for fitting the liner around the bulkheads. The net result is a nice clean factory look. I'm pleased.

Liner2.jpg (53.28 KiB) Viewed 674 times

(Cont next post)
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

Main Cabin Liner Cont.

You can see that I spent more time smoothing out the corner on the starboard side. The port side bulkhead/liner junction needs a bit more sanding.

Liner4.jpg (146.76 KiB) Viewed 674 times

I thought I would have to do a lot more fitting than I did on the floor. It fits really nicely.

Liner5.jpg (56.05 KiB) Viewed 674 times

The aft starboard and port liners were easier to fit since there were no bulkheads that protruded past the stringers. The only cuts needed on the liner was a cutout on the starboard side to let the through-hull and its backer be mounted. Here is the port side liner fitted.

Liner6.jpg (49.79 KiB) Viewed 674 times

I also got another coat of paint on the starbaord side, the main bulkhead and the sides of the lockers in the aft section of the cabin. I have to shift all of my junk out of the boat to finish the port side paint and then I can start to work on the main furniture items like the setees, the galley and the nav station.

Lou.
JoeWalling

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by JoeWalling »

Hey Lou - whatcha been up to since Oct 4? Not slacking I hope.
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

JoeWalling wrote:Hey Lou - whatcha been up to since Oct 4? Not slacking I hope.
I have not been resting on my laurels. I'll post some pictures as soon as I can. The main cabin is completely painted. On top of the primer, I put a couple of layers of white exterior latex. The forward bulkhead and the area near the cockpit entranceway have 3 coats each. There were still a few nagging leaks that I was trying to track down. That took forever. I actually put easter egg food coloring in any standing puddle of water and traced down the leaks. I think I've gotten them all. I used the expandable foam to seal up a lot of the spaces that promoted leaking.

I've finally found a place that will galvanize my brackets. They are going into the shop soon.

I think the cabin is finally ready to be finished. Before I did that, I wanted to replace the old cover on the boat becuase the one on there was so old that it did not repel water anymore and it just leaked onto the boat, causing a lot of dirt to coat the old paintjob. I was particularly concerned about the Lexan windows degrading from the dirt. I took the old cover off and cleaned the outside of the boat. It came out really nice. I was actually surprised how well it cleaned up. Honestly, it probably doesn't need another coat of paint in the spring but I'll probably do it anyway. I could probably acheive the same result with a good compounding.

This weekend, I'm starting on the templets for the galley and nav station. I would assume that I'll be most of the winter months getting the cabin finished but there is no doubt that the boat will be ready to go to the boat yard in the late spring. I'll let them rig the baot there and have a christening party.

I'll post some pics as soon as I have a minute.

Lou
JoeWalling

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by JoeWalling »

It must be great to be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with the settees, galley and nav station.

Joe
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

Hey all ... Spring is slowly springing. I was doing great on my boat until December. Then a family crisis or two distracted me, then the holidays and then the crappy weather and weekly storms kept me inside near the fireplace. I did get some of the cabin work done before i quit for the winter and washed down the whole boat to see if would really need a total paint job this year. I think it will be okay with some more cleaning and just a paint touch-up above the water line. I'll put on a couple of coats of bottom coat.

IMG00021-20101114-1500-1.jpg (176.01 KiB) Viewed 590 times

Looks kinda nice. Before I quit for the winter, I finished the bilge pumps, painted the pull out storage bins, sanded and painted the forward bulkhead, and put in the starboard oilskin locker near the door. I put the door on temporarly and it looks great.

Anyway ... I'm back and will probably start on the boat again in a week or so. I'll keep you all posted.

Lou
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

Been making some decent progress. Finished the manual/back-up bilge pump and oil skin lockers. Started on the storage bins on the port side. Finished them tonight. I think I have the bunk beds figured out. I'm making them out of foam sandwich consitruction with 1/4" veneer top and bottom bonded together with West Epoxy. I'll probably fasten them to the coachroof with a chains or straps. I have to route out and epoxy in some plywood backers for the chain/strap folding eyes. The back of the settee will pivot on the shelf below the window and be hinged with a piano hinge.

In order to start on the settee, I need to carpet the area below the cockpit and cover the area around the window with white vinyl. Then I can trim the window and put in the settee. It'll probably take a couple of weeks to get to the installation.

Here are some photos of the latest progress.
Cut out.

Bilge cut-out Bilge Pump Cut.jpg (16.57 KiB) Viewed 569 times

Finished Pump. Handle comes out and door closes.

Bilge Pump.jpg (18.12 KiB) Viewed 569 times

Starboard panel ready for vinyl.

Backer.jpg (12.48 KiB) Viewed 569 times

(cont next post)
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

Finished Starboard Locker with original teak door.

Locker.jpg (14.3 KiB) Viewed 570 times

Form for Electrical Panel - ready for cut-out.

Electrical Panel.jpg (14.72 KiB) Viewed 570 times

Storage bin, finished off with plastic U channel.

Bin.jpg (11.8 KiB) Viewed 570 times

(Cont. next post)
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

Installing the Storage Bins.

Bin2.jpg (11.59 KiB) Viewed 571 times

Third Bin in.

Bin3.jpg (13.87 KiB) Viewed 571 times

With Window Ledge Trim clamped in place.

Bin4.jpg (13.89 KiB) Viewed 571 times

BTW, I can't tell you how great the cedar-lined lockers smell now that the doors are on. You open them up and they smell fresh. Should be a great place for oil skins or polar fleece.

Shower time.

Lou