Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Detailed posts on modifications and projects.
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

Even the bottom of the upper bunk gets oiled. I'll oil the cross braces before I install them.

BottomTop.jpg (69.97 KiB) Viewed 168 times

Carpeting is nearly done on the port undercockpit area. It's looking nice. The fumes of the contact cement are really strong under there. My chemical respirator is marginal and I would prefer to have a forced air respirator for a few hours. I wonder if you can rent one?

Cubby.jpg (12.51 KiB) Viewed 168 times

I really like the look of oak and teak together with only an oil finish. It looks nice.

HingeBase.jpg (15.74 KiB) Viewed 168 times

Notice the plastic trim around the window. I glued a piece on last night as a test and it cleans up the edge nicely. I'm still working on the optimal attachment method. It think contact cement would work better than gorilla glue, which is what I used on the test strip.

Lou
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

Attended a family reunion yesterday but was able to get a full day in on the boat today. The Bunk Base and Back is still drying. We've had a lot of rain and humidity so the oil will take another day or so to dry. Caught up on some smaller projects and installed the base for the bottom bunk so that it is ready to install as soon as it dries.

The front of the bunk has a liner that I can screw into so there will be no problem fastening the bottom bunk in the front. I was puzzled at how to fasten the back, given the lack of access and the lack of space between the lower ama arm and the seat bottom. I also need to shim the right side of the seat by a little under 1". The first thing I did was expoy an oak 1 x 2 to the settee base.

1x2Bonding.jpg (17.95 KiB) Viewed 165 times

Then I attached an Oak 1x2 on its side.

BunkBase.jpg (13.13 KiB) Viewed 165 times

Then I added shims for the base to rest on and I'm ready to install the base.

BunkBaseFin.jpg (15.64 KiB) Viewed 165 times

(con't)
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

While the epoxy on the base was setting up, I turned to the step.
FIrst I installed the riser.

Riser.jpg (11.06 KiB) Viewed 165 times

Then, after putting a teak bull nose on the bottom Oak tread, I installed that and the teak cap.

Step.jpg (14.48 KiB) Viewed 165 times

Then I finished trimming the window.

Windowtrim.jpg (16.83 KiB) Viewed 165 times

(con't)
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

Finished the couple pieces of carpet in the cubbyhole. I wanted that done before I put the settee in place.

Cubbyhole.jpg (13.54 KiB) Viewed 165 times

I also need to put the jib tracks in so that I can finish the cabin cieling as soon as the starboard side is finished as well.
I masked the track and the bridgedeck and installed the track with 3M Marine 5200.

TrackMasking.jpg (15.49 KiB) Viewed 165 times

And here is the finished product.

Track.jpg (17.08 KiB) Viewed 165 times

After that, I decided to call it a day. I'll probably get the base installed tomorrow night and the top bunk the night after. The whole port side will be done soon.

Lou
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

Quick update:

still fitting the bottom of the port settee. Had an issue with the 1x2 oak backer that I epoxied to the seat as a limiter and mounting bracket for the bottom bunk. I had to remove it, shave the bottom to match the curve of the base and remount. Here it is being remounted. Hopefully, I did it right this time. I did not like how the seat fit the first time.

Backer.jpg (13.21 KiB) Viewed 162 times

backer2.jpg (18.66 KiB) Viewed 162 times

As you can see, I mounted the backer with the bottom bunk in-place to make sure I have enough leg room, etc. If this is correct now, I should be able to mount the top bunk tonight and move onto the nav station, finishing up the port side this week. The plastic tackle boxes I am using to keep my screws and stanless separated make great weights for epoxy work.

Lou
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

Looks like I'm updating daily since I'm spending a couple of hours on the boat most nights after work. Before installing the bottom bunk, I filled in the remaining areas of exposed fiberglass with I/O carpet. Looks much better.

Carpeted.jpg (13.31 KiB) Viewed 158 times

The bottom bunk is attached to the 1x2 backer with simple L brackets.

clip.jpg (9.35 KiB) Viewed 158 times

And, finally the bottom bunk is installed.

Mounted.jpg (15.88 KiB) Viewed 158 times

This seems to have taken forever. Hopefully, I'll have the top bunk on tomorrow and start working on the Nav station. I'm eager to get onto the Starboard side the get the furniture roughed in so I can start working on the systems. Even in this 90 degree heat, I can feel the chill of winter in the distance. Hopefully sea trials in the fall.

Lou
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

Since I have a busy week and won't be able to work on the boat much, I have been trying to push ahead as hard as I can this weekend. I put the top bunk on for a fitting and it needed a single adjustment. I had to move the fore hinge about an inch to get the bottom to sit properly on the rail of the bottom bunk.

Adjust.jpg (18.87 KiB) Viewed 153 times

To be honest, it could use another 1/4" adjustment but that will have to wait. Here is the finished product.

Fitted.jpg (18.72 KiB) Viewed 153 times

With the top bunk folded up, it makes a cozy bunk with plenty of room.

Bedup.jpg (16.61 KiB) Viewed 153 times

(cont.)
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

With the top bunk up, there is plenty of room below too. The cantilever on the top bunk helps with the space.

Roomy.jpg (24.32 KiB) Viewed 154 times

Put the Closet doors back on. This corner looks nice and neat now.

door.jpg (19.58 KiB) Viewed 154 times

Here's the view from the cockpit. It's looking like a boat in there.

Cockpit.jpg (26.59 KiB) Viewed 154 times

(cont.)
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

Decided to urethane the step, even though I'm adding a teak or rubber tread.

Step.jpg (12.04 KiB) Viewed 154 times

Bonded in cleats to hold the Port cabinet vinyl cover. I intend to eventually flush install nav instruments and a VHF radio in this space.

Cleats.jpg (12.62 KiB) Viewed 154 times

And, it should look like this when it's finished.

Vinylpanel.jpg (12.79 KiB) Viewed 154 times

A 28" x 19" chart table will go under it to finish the port side. Time to start thinking about the starboard settee and galley.

Lou
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

Been working on the nav station a bit, but it's ungodly hot here in South Jersey (102 F). Work will be demanding most of my time for the next couple of weeks as well so it looks like there'll be a lull in the action for a bit. I'm hoping to take some time off in August to push the progress so that I can make it to the boatyard this fall.

Fitting Nav Table.jpg (15.84 KiB) Viewed 146 times

I'm not sure yet how I'm going to mount it but I'm trying to get a reasoanble hight and level. I'm at 35.5" off the floor. What is the 28's nav station height?

Finding Level.jpg (12.09 KiB) Viewed 146 times

The table will be trimmed in teak. I'm considering a plywood base that extends down to the liner. Here is the teak rough-cut.

Teak Trim.jpg (12.52 KiB) Viewed 146 times

(con't.)