Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Detailed posts on modifications and projects.
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

Spent the weekend planning and finishing up the galley area. Measured out the carpeted areas.

Put another coat of teak oil on the galley.

The sill looks great. So does the rest of the galley. Here it is with the masking tape off.

Here, you can see the vinyl on the starboard side and the backing for the starboard shelf that I am designing,

luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

Carpeting the starboard cuby-hole was completed in a single weekend. The port side took nearly 3 weeks. It's amazing what a little experience can do. I did the starboard side completely different that the port. Instead of patterning and doing one panel at a time, I double coated everything with adhesive and fitted larger pieces, cutting the to fit after they were glued in place. I was dreading this job andf it was much easier than I anticipated.

Here is the cuby-hole cleaned and with one coat of adhesive.

I made a tool to coat inside the cuby-hole without getting zonked out by the fumes like I did on the port side.

Everything got two coats of adhesive, letting the first coat completely dry before the second coat. After drying, the carpet has a nice even surface for bonding. It's ready for fitting.

I've used the liquid contact cement but gel seems to work and bond better.

Indoor-outdoor carpet ready for fitting.

By using larger pieces I could fit the top and side with one piece. Note the pizza box protecting the bottom adhesive film.

The back piece was excess from the first piece. Everything was trimmed in place with a carpet knife.

One more piece trimmed in-place and it's done. I can't begin to explain how much easier this method was. I was dreading this and it was not half-bad.

Lou
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

Between being busy at work and sneaking any spare time on the boat, I have not had the opportunity to update this thread. Since I have a few seconds, here goes:

As soon as I finished installing the carpet in the cuby hole, I started working on finishing the starboard side to prepare for installing the settee. Once that is done, I should be able to clean out the cabin and start the final work inside and the installation of the centerboard. As you will see, the finish work went quite well on the starboard side. So well, in fact, that I'm probably doing to redo the trim around the port window and redo the way the port storage bins are installed.

I started the finsih work on the port side by cutting out a plywood form to cover the back wall which includes the compass bubble. I want a shelf here to hold binoculars and and the like. So, I also cut a plywood shelf from scraps of the oak plywood that used for the bunks. I covered the 1/4" plywood backer with vinyl and fitted it temporarly while bracing the shelf.
There was a small area under the shelf that remained uncovered/unfinished, so I made a template and cut out a piece of 1.4" plywood to fit.
The cut out was covered with the same carpet used to cover the cubby hole. I used glue and stapes to make sure the carpet fit tight.
It really cleaned up that small space and added a finished look to the area under the shelf.
The plywood shelf was covered with vinyl and held in place temporarly by bracing.
I like the look of the all vinyl back and shelf.

(cont next post)
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

Once the backer and the small carpeted insert was complete, I started making the cover for the bracket bolts, like was done on the port side.
Once it was screwed and glued together it was covered with vinyl.
Once all the parts were finished, I was ready to put the back part together.
The backer was glued on with construction adhesive.
I made a facea plate for the bolt cover.
The assembly was first screwed in from the bottom and then the cover was screwed on.
I've fallen in love with this little plastic screw covers. They really give the vinyl parts a fisnihed look.
Once the assembly was screwed in place, the shelf had a place to rest and could be installed. I used a lap joint on the other side to anchor it to the oil skin lockers.

(cont)
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

Once the shelf was in-place, it was time to trim the starboard window. On the port side I used a plastic J channel and glued it in place with gorrilla glue. It was messy, unsightly and the glue has let go in places. I decided to try something different on the starboard side. I went with Locktite polysulfide bathroom cauking. It is great and has resulted in a really secure bond. First, I masked off the vinyl and window where the J track would not cover. Then applied the caulk and cut the track to size with a tin shear. Here is the window before it was trimmed.
Once the trim was in-place, I taped it with masking tape to let the caulk dry.
With the tape removed, it looks great and after drying the bond is really secure.
Once that was done, I fitted and sanded a piece of teak to act as the front rail of the shelf. Here it is just held in place by a clamp.
With that complete, I templated and cut out the backer for the forsection of the starboard side.

(cont)
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

At that point, I turned my attention to a small bit of epoxy work that needed to be done. I masked the doorway.
Mixed up some West epoxy and 404 adhesive filler to fill the small gap over the doorway.
I also filled in the one fiberglass bin that was broken.
The epoxy was permitted to dry and then was sanded smooth on all of the surfaces.
That should prevent any leaks from the forepeak, once I put a small shower in there.
With that complete, I turned my attention to fitting the door in place.
This is going to take some time, as I need to sand out the seat for the door with a small belt sander to make the door fit correctly. I also intend to use a small flat rubber gasket to give a decent seal on the door.
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

When that work got too tedious, I went back to the starboard side. I first replaced the small teak rail on the edge of the side shelf, screwing and using epoxy to affix it to the shelf edge. I am doing this because the edge has a bend in it and I'm trying to straighten it out.
This will show you the bend that I am trying to take out of the small rail.
I had to keep moving the clamps and allowing the epoxy to dry in order to keep it tight, but it was finally done and looked good.
The forward insert was then covered with vinyl and put in place temporarly.
While all of that was setting up, I put a piece of plastic U channel on the top of the storage bins to clean them up and make them look finished. Instead of revealing the screws in a counter sink like I did on the port side, I used my fav. new toy, the plastic covers. I really like the look. I'm going to redo the port side with these.
In the original boat, the smaller trim piece was covered by a larger piece of 3" trim cut out for the wooden bin handles which I have eliminated and replaced with the plastic.
All that needs to be done now, it trim the fore-end to make it fit flush and add a small piece of teak trim between the 3" trim over the bins and the galley trim.
With that, the woodwork is almost finished and the starboard side is read for carpeting so that a track can be installed for the settee to ride on. I'm almost ready to start on the electrical work. If I keep this up, I should be working on the electrical within a couple of weeks. Then I can get the forepeak finished, do some updating on the port side to put the improved items in there and finish up in the cabin.

I have been thinking about the engine and I am seriously considering foregoing the jet unit now, in favor of hanging an outboard for the time being. That way, I can mount the hardware, put a coat of paint on and get the boat to the yard to launch it. I can return to the engine installation next winter. I have the sails and brackets done, so there is nothing stopping me from sailing. I am fairly sure this is the plan.

Lou
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

Finished the starboard trim work.

The clean up work with the carpeting is done under the aft bracket structure. The fitting took quite a bit of time,

Also put the teak rail on the back shelf.

All that's left is to carpet the starboard settee base and build the settee. Looks like I'm ready to start doing the electrocal work. Hanging the door between the main cabin and the forepeak is proving quite challenging and needs quite a bit of sanding to square off the door jams.
JoeWalling

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by JoeWalling »

Hi Lou

Inspired by your wonderful galley work, I had a crack at mine. Can you remind me how to post photos these days? I'll then put them up.

Cheers.

Joe
Ron

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by Ron »

Joe -

We've used up all of the storage area that Dan set up, so until he fixes this problem you've probably got to use one of the web sites that hold photo's and then point to them using IMG commands. It appears on the bar above the post message box. Note that many of these services are free. For example, I use PhotoBucket.

Move the pointer so it's on one of Lou's photos, do a right click, then click on Properties. You will see where Lou has been stashing his. It's also on PhotoBucket.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"