Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Detailed posts on modifications and projects.
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

At long last, I am starting on the living space on the boat. After completing the molding on the jet drive insert, I cleaned out all of the crap from the inside of the boat and have it ready to be refitted. Here are a few views of the cabin, completely stripped and all of the structural work completed. You can't see it in detail, but the cabin has new bulkheads, a sistered main/forepeak bulkhead, a new floor, a new floor in the forpeak as well. There is a shower drain in the forpeak and a hose leading into the area where the shower bilge pump will be installed. The first picture is the cabin looking forward.

Cabin looking forward from the cockpit. Cabin 3.jpg (11.67 KiB) Viewed 886 times

The next is the cabin looking aft.

Cabin looking aft. Cabin 2.jpg (9.92 KiB) Viewed 886 times

. Finally, there is a detail of the floor I molded into the head/shower area.

Head/Shower floor. Cabin 1.jpg (10.46 KiB) Viewed 886 times

It all looks kinda rough at this point, but most of the real work has been done.

In many ways, this is my favorite time in any project. I have been sitting in the empty cabin, imagining what I am going to do. Here are some of my preliminary thoughts. First, I am not going all white inside. I am introducing some hint of color in the paint and surfaces I am installing that can be carried through with brighter variations of the color scheme in cushion fabrics, etc. Although I know white brings the most light below, I find the pure white telstar cabins I have see to be quite stark. I am going to tint the paint just a bit to get a very light pastel which should not darken the cabin too much.

My goal is to keep the refit as light as possible, within reason. I am likely to make the convertible couches out of sandwich construction to keep weight down. On the other hand, the galley and nav station will be plywood, with the top being covered in formica and trimmed in teak. As you can see, I have quite an empty canvass to work from.

Lou Giansante
luigisante

Mark 1 cabin refit ...

Post by luigisante »

Work has been occupying the better part of my spring ... I hate when that happens. :mrgreen: Anyway, I have been sneaking away to the boat when I can steal a bit of time here-and-there.

I started the cabinet work in the easiest spot, the oilskin lockers near the doors. Since I'm probably going to paint it, i made it out of luan. I like the look of the wood though, so I might try to stain it first. If I don't like it, I can always paint it.

Oilskin Locker Facea IMG00416.jpg (23.1 KiB) Viewed 844 times

I'm laying out the bilge pump set-up for the cabin. I am installing a manual Whale Guzzler to drain the cabin. Since I lowered the floors, I am concerned about the need to keep up with any water draining into the bilge. There is a water-tight bulkhead between the cabin and engine compartment, so all I have to deal with is water coming through the usual leaky places or coming through the cockpit doorway. Since the boat will be on a mooring, i am also adding a rule 1000 electric pump forward of the whale intake. pic2 shows the location of the whale intake and the rule upfront near the galley.

bilge pump locations. IMG00423.jpg (6.56 KiB) Viewed 844 times

. Here is the pump in its future location. The hose will be led forward, under the shower floor and out through the side of the forepeak. I am considerind putting in a T fitting to make the same exit thru-hull handle the auto bilge pump and the shower drain.

I have cut the two small bulkheads to form the sides of the shower drain box in the forepeak. The floor in the head, will drain into the box and a pump will exhaust the grey water out through the same thru-hull that the other bilge pump uses. I will probably have the drain box glassed in this weekend. It will be covered by a piece of Lexan with the exit hose fitting coming through the lexan. The manual pump is going in the lower part of the starboard oilskin locker with the pump handle bracket being the only thing showing. I located it there to have access from the cockpit or the cabin, depending on where i am in the boat when it is taking on water. :D

Edit: I have some unfinished, natural cedar planking used to line closets. I'm thinking about lining the back and bottom of the Oilskin locker with Cedar. I have doors to fit the openings but am considering leaving them as is with coat hooks inside. With the Cedar lining, I think it will look good. The planking is very light and I'm only going to need a few planks to complete the job.

The floor was next. I'll start a new post for pics.
Last edited by luigisante on Tue May 04, 2010 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: