Adjustable Traveller System

Detailed posts on modifications and projects.
ggreen

Re: Adjustable Traveller System

Post by ggreen »

For the traveler system the material I used Starboard. I made a template and milled everything with my shaper. There are about six pieces of 3/4" stacked together.

I really like the stop controls you have on the cabin top. Could you let me know what the arrangement is for the lines.

Thanks,

gary g
escape

Post by escape »

I am very proud of the end result. I did not have any line jamming or other problem with the system. It is nice to have control on the main clew. I almost never played with that before but now that I have the control I began experimenting with it. I especially like the boom vang preventer, I will comment later. Rope Clutches 11-13S are from Garhauer.

Also note the solar vent, in line on top of the oven. I also added a passive vent on the front hatch.
clutch.jpg
clutch.jpg (236.55 KiB) Viewed 2969 times
The deck organizer are also Garhauer, I had to shim with a washer underneath the sheave closest to the hatch because the deck is a bit curved.
deck organizer2.jpg
deck organizer2.jpg (174.27 KiB) Viewed 2969 times
I bolted a Garhauer MS-6 mast plate to the SS mast base. I also exchange the Genoa and main halyard exit so the main exit on the left side. Both main halyard and toping lift are not touching any part of the mast until the get into the mast.
IMG-20130727-00181.jpg
IMG-20130727-00181.jpg (206.29 KiB) Viewed 2969 times
Last edited by escape on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michel
Chenoa, #377
escape

Post by escape »

I now have full control on the boom vang, it is also a preventer when going downwind. At first I was using a figure-eight descender, then replace it with a set of Harken small block and finally replace all that with simple shakle. 2 on the boom and one a foot lower. This give just enough friction so the boom will move freely but if I give tension it can jam the boom in place. I will add a fiddle block to get 2:1 or 3:1 to get an easier control by hand on the line when jibbing.
boom vang2.jpg
boom vang2.jpg (177.13 KiB) Viewed 2969 times
I will also convert the backstay to a double system hook on the amas. Here on the river I tack a lot and it is really a problem when crossing the main sail.

Other modification: I added a AIS radio. The wood color match is not perfect but I can live with it. You can see a small panel to connect my portable gps.
radio.jpg
radio.jpg (144.34 KiB) Viewed 2969 times
I also made a long stair-drawer that extend underneath the cockpit, the refrigerator is in front and in the back there is storage space. On the right behind the trash can I use two plastic bin for storage. On the sealing you can see the solar vent and the clutch bolts.
inside.jpg
inside.jpg (147.22 KiB) Viewed 2969 times
I have a few more crazy ideas but I will save it for later.
Michel
Chenoa, #377
wingman71

Post by wingman71 »

Is the idea on the backstay to move it aft sufficiently so that the main does not hang up in light winds? Did you retain some adjustment capability? Can you provide pictures?

John
escape

Post by escape »

hi, if I understand your question correctly; I did not move the backstay yet but I made a test by putting the backstay on one side. On most heading I think it will be ok except maybe downwind where I might need to release one side. I intend to use 6:1 small block on each side.
Attachments
double backstay.JPG
double backstay.JPG (117.36 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
Michel
Chenoa, #377