Forestay and rigging guidance needed

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
PNW Telstar

Forestay and rigging guidance needed

Post by PNW Telstar »

Hi everyone

I have raised the mast of my new used telstar 28 with bowsprits for the first time. It was hairy, tremendous load on the control line and was careful to clear all obstructions.

Now I have the awkward situation of the furlex200s forestay/furler sagging considerably, even with the back stay tensioned to bow mast back. The sag is more than 1’ slump from the straight line from head to tack.

I must be making a mistake here, can anyone help?

Matt
PNW Telstar

Re: Forestay and rigging guidance needed

Post by PNW Telstar »

Here is an update after talking to Selden about the Furlex200s and then Pacific Offshore Rigging Co: The extrusion foils are warped enough that they may need replacement.
In the photo, the extra forestay/halyard line is just temporary and had no tension on it.
unnamed (1).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg (58.39 KiB) Viewed 4604 times
Now I am considering putting together my own forestay and using a hank-on front genoa or jib while the furler mess gets sorted out, which seems like it could take a while.
Q: Does anyone know where I can get info on how strong the front stay needs to be? Just match whatever the wire shrouds are? (note the rear stay is not as thick wire). I am going to look into doing this with Dyneema or the like, provided I can get fastners and etc.
Also, I am still stumped on the lack of forestay tension. I loosened all shrouds and tried to get the mast to lean aft a touch more, like you see on some other multihulls, but even that was not enough. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

-Matt, PNW Telstar.
Ron

Re: Forestay and rigging guidance needed

Post by Ron »

You've got to support the headstay, roller drum and foil assembly somewhat while you raise or lower the mast. If the assembly bends too much the foil can be damaged. You may be able to reposition the roller drum on the bottom or the swivel on top to tighten it up, but that won't help a twisted foil.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"