Securing the mast base

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
BoarX

Securing the mast base

Post by BoarX »

Hi all,

Yesterday we have (hopefully) successfully raised the mast on our new Telstar 28 for the first time. Went slowly, had just a couple of snafus on the way, but overall things went reasonably controlled. One remaining issue: according to the manual, once raised the mast base must be attached to the receptacle with some bolts, which so far I was not able to find. How do they work? If the previous owner forgot them or misplaced I will need to come up with my own, but I don't see how they work. They are just two unthreaded holes in the mast base receptacle and I don't see any holes (much less through holes, which would make sense) in the mast. Any hints how is this supposed to work?

Thanks in advance!,
Alex
West Lafayette, IN
2009 Telstar 28 Unicorn
Sail #383 (hull?)
Member of Clinton Lake Sailing Association
Bill

Re: Securing the mast base

Post by Bill »

When the mast base is fully slid back into the mast step, short bolts (I think 3/8" diam, could be 5/16" maybe 3/4" long) with locking nuts are put in the holes you observed on either side of the front of the mast step. Doesn't really attach anything together, just supposed to get it the way if the mast base should try to slide forward.
BoarX

Re: Securing the mast base

Post by BoarX »

Great! Thanks so much Bill! Given the tension in the forestay (had to use the help of spin halyard to attach it as per manual) and huge lever it exerts at the mast base pushing it backwards, it should take real strong gust to push the mast step forward - unless the forestay itself breaks!
Alex
West Lafayette, IN
2009 Telstar 28 Unicorn
Sail #383 (hull?)
Member of Clinton Lake Sailing Association