Mast manufacturer

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
agprice22

Mast manufacturer

Post by agprice22 »

Who made the mast for the Telstar 28? I broke my masthead fitting yesterday. The crane ripped right out of the top of it. I think I had the shroud tension too low and the backstay too high. We were in high winds, and the crane toppled! I can probably get it welded, but if I can source a new one and beef it up, I would rather do that.
agprice22

Re: Mast manufacturer

Post by agprice22 »

Ok. I think it is a Z-Spar Z-265 mast section that uses the Z-1015a masthead and Z-1015/1098. I think ai can replace it at Rig-Rite... i will update you as I go. Either way, I may modify the crane to add support with the mast rather than wholly relying on the masthead fitting.
agprice22

Post by agprice22 »

Ok. The mast is a Z-Spar Z-265 section. The masthead fitting is the Z-1015 / 1098, and the base is the same numbers. It is like they go together, so they number them together? Anyway, the masthead came from Rig-Rite. They have ok customer service. They do not return phone calls, so keep calling. They will take your email address, but if you do not recieve an email shortly after you order, call them. Do not bother with option 3, "check the status of an order." No one will answer, and they won't return your call. Just call sales again, after 11am. Also, check that they have your email address and home address correct. They sent my package to the wrong zip code. Only UPS tracking allowed me to fix it. I had to call Rig-Rite to get status, and then they just told me UPS has mis-directed the package. Not true. Rig-Rite mis-directed the package. They also did not get my email correct, so I did not get an update from them when the item shipped. Once I called and fixed the email, I get the UPS tracking. Luckily, I got it in time to install it today.
Ron

Post by Ron »

One or two early boats had that US Spar mast top crane snap off about 8 years ago. I recall that the problem was in the weld, which was redesigned and strengthened later. If you're in or near Florida, US Spar (a division of the French company Z-Spar) is located near Gainesville FL. Regardless, I wouldn't over tighten the back stay. No reason to - the mast was not really designed to bend.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"