Sail pack

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
Mangodoc

Sail pack

Post by Mangodoc »

Can someone recommend a manufacturer for a sail pack? My sail cover is an old, stock cover that doesn't match the rest of the boat, and I don't have lazy jacks so I figured I'd fix both with a sail pack. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Mangodoc
s.v. Trinity
escape

Re: Sail pack

Post by escape »

I am currently having one made by a local seamstress, she made my full enclosure. It's the same available from sailrite: http://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Make-a-Sail-Pack-Video
Michel
Chenoa, #377
escape

Post by escape »

Got may sailpak! :-) fits perfect.
sailpack.jpg
sailpack.jpg (244.17 KiB) Viewed 14353 times
Michel
Chenoa, #377
Mangodoc

Post by Mangodoc »

I've decided to make my own using a SailRite kit. I guess you bought the one for the 13' boom? How did you handle attaching the sail pack to the boom with a loose-footed main since there are no track cars to hold it on top of the boom? Did you have to make any special accommodations for the sail raising hardware around the mast? Have you raised and lowered the mast with the boom attached since installing the sail pack, and if so, how did it go? I would love some more detailed pics if you can.
Mangodoc
s.v. Trinity
escape

Post by escape »

Sorry I forgot to take pictures of the sailpack during my vacation. I can tell you I love it.

Mine was done locally by a professional that has everything on hands, she has also done my full enclosed. It was her first time doing a sail pack. The 13 feet kit would be ok.

Since I also have a loose foot main sail, I went with grommets and shoe laces on the sailpack and slug (that I already had) on the boom, they are space at about every 13 inches.

So the sail pack is 2 pieces, the shoe laces tie them together, this ensure that the water will drain properly. The front measurement from Sailrite was ok but the rear was too long, so I lost some material, maybe it was me so double check the measurements.

I also did not install the string/block system to close the sail pack, I think I already have enough ropes on this boat… and since it is a large sail, you will probably have to place the sail properly in the sail pack at the rear end before zipping so while I was there I started zipping the sailpack.

I don’t let anything on the boom when lowering, raising the mast or transporting the boat, but I leave the main in the sailpack on top of the boat. It was easy putting the main/sailpack on the boom, attaching the lasy jack lines, attaching the shoe lace to the slug and then inserting the slides in the mast. The battens were already installed.

google SailPack instructions.pdf ;-)
Attachments
Sailpack.jpg
Sailpack.jpg (237.78 KiB) Viewed 14274 times
slug.jpg
slug.jpg (18.25 KiB) Viewed 14274 times
Michel
Chenoa, #377
Mangodoc

Post by Mangodoc »

I've been working on my sail pack last week and it's almost done. I travel for a living and spend a lot of time in hotel rooms, so I have free time to do things like make a sail pack. The conditions aren't ideal for working on large projects, but I don't have much else to do on the road, and I figure it's saving me several hundred bucks. More importantly, I'm customizing it the way I want it, and won't be afraid to make alterations since I know it inside and out.

I can recommend SailRite as a source for the kit and other materials. They have been good to work with. It started like this:
IMG_1022.JPG
IMG_1022.JPG (21.74 KiB) Viewed 14245 times
Notice the hot gun- I highly recommend it. Nice to have on a boat in general.

I bought a Singer 4432 heavy duty sewing machine from Amazon for $150:
IMG_1028.JPG
IMG_1028.JPG (30.35 KiB) Viewed 14245 times
It goes through many layers of Sunbrella but doesn't like the heavy duty thread in the bobbin so seams aren't as nice as I'd like.

Finding room to spread out was tough:
IMG_1023.JPG
IMG_1023.JPG (53.01 KiB) Viewed 14245 times

To be continued...
Mangodoc
s.v. Trinity
Mangodoc

Post by Mangodoc »

but I've been able to get the large side panels cut out, sewn and zippered:
IMG_1030.JPG
IMG_1030.JPG (53.2 KiB) Viewed 14245 times
IMG_1031.JPG
IMG_1031.JPG (56.9 KiB) Viewed 14245 times
I have now added all the little extras like three points for the lazy jacks, support lines fore and aft, and reinforced places on the foot for attaching slugs to go into the boom slot. Rather than shoelaces I'm using plastic shackles from SailRite.
IMG_1041.JPG
IMG_1041.JPG (35.2 KiB) Viewed 14219 times
I haven't made the mast boot yet- since I'm not with the boat I'm reluctant to make it because I want to customize the fit around all the hardware like winches and mast-raising gear. But everything else is done for a functional sail pack and I can't wait to try it on. I'll post pics when it's on. Thanks for all the help.
Mangodoc
s.v. Trinity
Mangodoc

Post by Mangodoc »

Here is a much delayed pic of the finished sail pack. It works great.
0F957047-2D09-4123-AF59-1E0695CC8207.jpeg
0F957047-2D09-4123-AF59-1E0695CC8207.jpeg (28.13 KiB) Viewed 13884 times
Mangodoc
s.v. Trinity
BoarX

Post by BoarX »

Both look great, but how does reefing work with these? Any extra hassle? Not to mention that blanketing about of foot of the foot (no pun intended :) ) of the sail is kind of a reef in itself - at least on a close reach.
Thanks,
Alex
West Lafayette, IN
2009 Telstar 28 Unicorn
Sail #383 (hull?)
Member of Clinton Lake Sailing Association
Mangodoc

Post by Mangodoc »

Since I originally made the sail pack I have made some modifications, especially to the bottom of the pack. Specifically, I enclosed the bottom so the reefing lines weren’t draping all over the boom. I have not yet incorporated the attachments for the reef lines, but I have a plan for how that will work. I’ll post more when I finish.
Mangodoc
s.v. Trinity