Genoa sheet leads

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
agprice22

Genoa sheet leads

Post by agprice22 »

Genoa sheets rigging:
When I bought my boat, the PO had replaced the genoa and furler with a CamberSpar jib rig. It did not use the regular genoa cars along the side decks.
Now, I am planning to use the genoa amd furler and genoa tracks with the primary winches.
I See that the genoa sheets routinely run aft of the winch outside the cockpit, turn, and run back to the primary winches. My boat has a triangular plate just outside the cockpit combing through which the cam axle passes and on which there was mounted a horn cleat with a jammer. I do not see this as a useful turning arrangement to lead the genoa sheet fair to the primary winch, which is somewhat unfortunate in my opinion. It seems the primary winches would be better positioned on the cockpit combing like most boats.
I am wondering if anyone has a good, effective system and would be willing to show a picture. I am thinking a turning block on the cockpit combing to lead the line to the winch.

Thanks!
Ron

Re: Genoa sheet leads

Post by Ron »

I can't really visualize this arrangement. Do you have a photo? My sheets lead back from the car on the track to well mounted aft stancion where it turns around and then heads forward to the primary on the cabin top. The only improvement is that I added a line control car to hold the block. Makes it much easier to adjust under load.

P2180028.JPG
P2180028.JPG (453.43 KiB) Viewed 2586 times
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
agprice22

Post by agprice22 »

Ok. I got it. There are supposed to be turning blocks on the forward ends of the stern pulpit rails. I will get this.
agprice22

Post by agprice22 »

Ron wrote:I can't really visualize this arrangement. Do you have a photo? My sheets lead back from the car on the track to well mounted aft stancion where it turns around and then heads forward to the primary on the cabin top. The only improvement is that I added a line control car to hold the block. Makes it much easier to adjust under load.

P2180028.JPG
Nice adjustable car!
Ron

Post by Ron »

You can see the block that turns the genoa sheet in the photo below. It's attached to the stancion, but hanging down because the line was not rigged at this point. It's hanging on a Johnson Pulpit Eye. The other block above it is for the main's traveler line control. It's probably the best improvement I've done, but very few other owners have added this. Once the sheet is trimmed for the current wind strength, I use the traveler to control the trim. The original pin control stoppers on the track were not suitable for doing this.

P6250002.JPG
P6250002.JPG (426.5 KiB) Viewed 2571 times
Ron Marcuse
agprice22

Post by agprice22 »

Ron wrote:You can see the block that turns the genoa sheet in the photo below. It's attached to the stancion, but hanging down because the line was not rigged at this point. It's hanging on a Johnson Pulpit Eye. The other block above it is for the main's traveler line control. It's probably the best improvement I've done, but very few other owners have added this. Once the sheet is trimmed for the current wind strength, I use the traveler to control the trim. The original pin control stoppers on the track were not suitable for doing this.

P6250002.JPG
Oh yes! I am copying that traveler arrangement! Those pin stops are useless.

Why did you put the genoa sheet turning blocks so far back? Why not put them on the forward-most stanchion of the stern pulpit?
Oh, more detailed pics of your main sheet car, please! :)
ggreen

Post by ggreen »

Here is the way I did my mainsheet adjustable system.

gary g
Attachments
P8220002.JPG
P8220002.JPG (174.1 KiB) Viewed 2559 times
P7110003.JPG
P7110003.JPG (172.4 KiB) Viewed 2559 times
agprice22

Post by agprice22 »

ggreen wrote:Here is the way I did my mainsheet adjustable system.

gary g
Nice work! I see you added a King Starboard bearing to guide the lines. That is a nice touch.
Is there a bolt for the terminal eye straps under the main sheet block, or do your straps just
Have one screw?
Also, are those blocks in the 35 mm range or 40s or 50s? Is that 3/8" line for the traveler?
thanks! And again, nice work!
Ron

Post by Ron »

"Why did you put the genoa sheet turning blocks so far back? Why not put them on the forward-most stanchion of the stern pulpit?"

That's the way the boat's came from the factory. The forward stancion would be too far forward to be usable anyway, and it could block access to the cockpit.
Ron Marcuse
agprice22

Post by agprice22 »

Ron wrote:"Why did you put the genoa sheet turning blocks so far back? Why not put them on the forward-most stanchion of the stern pulpit?"

That's the way the boat's came from the factory. The forward stancion would be too far forward to be usable anyway, and it could block access to the cockpit.
Oh... I know why you put the blocks that far back... because the genoa car tracks run further back than the forward stanchion of the stern pulpit!