Boom Lift

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
Jerry

Boom Lift

Post by Jerry »

Raising the Mast for the first time at home (on the trailer) and installing the Boom I could not figure out where to attach the boom lift.

I put it as seen in the following picture and think from prior photos I have gone through that this is where it goes. What I am wondering is if I am correct and if anyone has done something different as I do not like to attach like this to what seems to be a casting.
Dan

Boom Lift

Post by Dan »

That’s basically how it is set up on my boat, but I plan on getting a spectra loop or grommet to connect the shackle to the casting so that it doesn’t have metal-to-metal contact.
onremlop

Boom Lift

Post by onremlop »

I modified mine a bit. I use a carabiner that I dipped in vinyl coat. Makes it easy to snap on and off. The vinyl coat eventually wears off, but then I just spray it when it starts gettting worn off.
wingman

Boom Lift

Post by wingman »

I also use a carabiner! Great minds think alike. I hate small pins that are hard to turn and easy to lose. There is very little weight from the boom, so this is a much better solution. Plus, it only cost $8. Match that at West Marine!

John
Dan

Boom Lift

Post by Dan »

When I upgraded my topping lift for running the halyards aft, I used a Wichard captive-pin shackle for the new topping lift, so losing the pin isn’t a problem any more.