Lazy Jack system

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
JEL

Lazy Jack system

Post by JEL »

In the manual there is no instructions on how to connect the lazy jacks to the boom.

Does anyone have a picture of the lazy jack rope connection to the boom?

Jim Lefler
Ron

Re: Lazy Jack system

Post by Ron »

No one seems to be answering your question. I can't get you a photo because the boats in FL and we're in NJ. But here is a description -

You've got several slides hanging in the track at the bottom of the boom. Two of these are for the lazy jacks. One is maybe 2 or 3 or feet from the mast and the other around 10 to 11 feet. Rig 2 lines with 1/4 inch rope, one on each side of the boom and tie them off to these slides. The length of the line should be maybe 6 or 7 feet longer than the spacing between the 2 slides. The mast has two eyes, perhaps 15 to 20 feet above the deck, one on each side of the mast. Run a 1/4 or 5/16 line thru each, with one end hanging forward and the other aft. Tie the aft end of each to the above lines attached to the boom, the other will be used to control the lazy jacks. Use a small bosuns knot so the grasping point can move around as needed. It should look like an inverted "V from the side, with the mast control lines controlling the tension. There should be a few small cleats on the mast already to tie them off.

You can use small blocks on the mast and at the V but they aren't really needed. A block at the sail could also damage it. Don't leave the lazy jacks tight when sailing and after the sail is flaked. That will also take its toll on the sail.

I can get you a photo in about 2 months.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
ggreen

Re: Lazy Jack system

Post by ggreen »

On my boat two of the slides under the boom are stationary. They do not move and those are the ones that are used for the lazy jack system. The moveable slides are used for the reefing lines. I simply thread the lazy jack lines through the slides, one going one way through the slide and the other goes the opposite way. I place a knot at each end of the lines going through the slide and that holds them in place. These stationary slides matched up with my sail cover and the spaces in the sail cover to allow for the lazy jack lines.

gary g