Genoa furler extrusion

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
Ron

Genoa furler extrusion

Post by Ron »

I just tried to help someone launch and rig their Telstar 28. I believe it was a 2005 year model. We had a number of problems, mainly because the boat had been sitting untouched on a trailer for several years, but the one that finally stopped us was that the furler's foil extrusion was 4 pieces of aluminum riveted together, probably thru metal strips embedded within the extrusion. The long term horizontal position of the extrusion assembly, partially strapped to the boom so it sagged somewhat, created some space between some of the various sections. After getting the mast up and attaching the head stay / furler to the boat, we couldn't get the head sail past one of these breaks in the extrusion. The tracks in the two pieces no longer lined up. It was the upper one and had no way of reaching it. With no time to drop the mast, we finally gave up.

Never had this problem before. My 2 year newer T28 has a one piece foil extrusion. Same model as above - a Seldon Furlex 200S. So has a half dozen other sail boats that I've owned, including some much larger monohulls.

Anyway, a question and a possible warning -

Does anyone else with a 28 have this setup - a furler foil extrusion assembled from several pieces? If you do, I'd be very careful how you store or handle it with the mast down.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Mark

Re: Genoa furler extrusion

Post by Mark »

I have this set up and an abused extrusion that still works. I believe that the sections are easily disassembled allowing easy replacement (Pins rather than rivets on mine I think)

Mark
Ron

Post by Ron »

Mark -

I didn't look that closely. The extrusion was up in the air before I realized that the slightly loose connection would cause a problem. It could be pins, just assumed that it was rivets.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
triumph

Post by triumph »

The furler (Furlex 200) was not put together correctly. Having taken the entire furler apart, it was very evident that initial assembly was to blame for the joint failure. The interior aluminum joiners for the extrusions were not lined up with the joints themselves, causing the joints to fail. There are plastic liners in the extrusions which keep the aluminum joiners in place, these need to be of proper length or this kind of failure will occur. Actually, quite easy to fix, not very expensive either.

triumph