A Frame Turnbuckle Screw Replacement

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
Live4sea

A Frame Turnbuckle Screw Replacement

Post by Live4sea »

When sailing yesterday a portion of what I think is the A frame turnbuckle screw snapped on the port side. Fortunately, winds were not high, so we dropped sails and motored back to dock without problem.

The broken part is a one piece screw with a U shaped opening at the bottom that is attached to the deck hardware with a pin. The U shaped piece snapped off of the screw. Attached is a picture of the same hardware on the starboard side which I need to replace the broken part on the port side.

I look at West Marine, but was unable to find a replacement part. Can anyone confirm exactly what this part is, and know where a replacement part can be obtained?

Also, my T-28 is a 2007, and in light of this experience yesterday, I was wondering about whether I should have the entire rigging replaced, and would appreciate input from anyone about when Telstar 28 standing rigging should generally be replaced.

Thanks.
Attachments
265b.jpg
265b.jpg (222.5 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
Ron

Re: A Frame Turnbuckle Screw Replacement

Post by Ron »

I doubt if you will find that screw in any marine (or other) store. They welded the "U" to the top of a short threaded rod. Best bet is to either buy a new stainless threaded rod and U bracket (or use your parts) and bring it to a reliable welder who can work with stainless. Besides the phone book section on welders, you can also check out boat yards who build bimini's and dodgers, and high performance automobile shops. I've had stainless and aluminum mast hardware (on other boats) fixed at shops which build race car headers, custom exhausts, and custom frames. Most of these guys will do a much better job than the boat manufacturer.

You should do a thorough inspection of the rig at least once a month. You may be able to spot things which will soon give you trouble. Corrosion probably caused your failure, or at least it helped it along. The rig should be tuned occasionally as well. This could also have been caused by an overload.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Mark

Post by Mark »

There was a previous post on this. In that case, the U snapped off when the mast was being raised, if I remember correctly. the U can get caught at an angle when raising the mast leading to failure.

I would check A-frame and rig tension, if not tight enough on the windward side there will be too much load on the leeward side. (see the manual)

Mark
Ron

Post by Ron »

Raising and lowering the mast has to be done carefully. It's very easy to have a line or stay or ?? get caught on something and impede the progress. If you don't catch it fast enough the extra loads could easily bend, brake, or weaken something. I usually stop every 2 or 3 feet and take a good look at what's happening. Ditto for when the load seems to suddenly increase.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
escape

Post by escape »

I finally found some pictures that where on the older forum. I don't recall who has posted them. I am thinking of doing the same before they break.
Attachments
new.jpg
new.jpg (54.32 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
old.jpg
old.jpg (241.81 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
Michel
Chenoa, #377