Bimini and other forms of shade

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
jannpage

Bimini and other forms of shade

Post by jannpage »

WE NEED SOME SHADE !!!
For lack of a better idea where to post this, I will try this spot.

What works and where do we get it? I thought I was pretty clever and would figure a better way to do it than the factory had but so for, I just do not see anything that will beat their ideas. Has any one else? I debated with myself trying to find a way to use mid boom sheeting but finally gave that idea up. So I think I am stuck with the factory twosome solution.

any better idea out there? Is anyone still building the factory system? Ideas and leads will be gratefully received.
Thanks
lefty2
Serendipity II
Ron

Re: Bimini and other forms of shade

Post by Ron »

The factory style of forward cockpit bimini is probably the way to go. It does work rather will, even with the mainsheet cutting off it maximum size. Any version of mid-boom sheeting will double the maximum load. As far as a dodger, I think you can use the existing mid-ship mast support ("D") frame to make things much easier. I've been tempted to do that for years.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
jannpage

Post by jannpage »

Thanks much for the comments.

Yes. of course mid boom sheeting will about double the load. Worse it transfers the load to the cabin top and from what I have seen of this breed I cannot call them overbuilt.

I have also came to the same conclusion you had that the factory style of bimini is about the best option. ''

Who builds them? Any choises? or where can I find good enough pictures to hand a local shop so they can build it?
BobS

Post by BobS »

The Owner's Manual lists:
Canvas Work, Biminis,
Dodgers, & Interior Cushions
ALMO Products
PO Box 944
Serendipity Drive
Millersville MD 21108

We are happy with the factory bimini. It provides good shade and one can view the sail both forward and aft of it with a little effort. I have also seen a bimini mounted over the aft seats (http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2007/Te ... 8cIh5RdXYE) which appears to be the factory version.You'll need to play around with the tie-down straps so they don't interfere with the winches forward of the mainsheet aft when fully eased.
escape

Post by escape »

I have both Bimini on my and i am very satisfied. I also have the dodger (not on the picture). This year I added a 130 watt flexible solar panel on the rear Bimini with velcro. Looks real nice.
chenoa.jpg
chenoa.jpg (247.62 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
Michel
Chenoa, #377
Mark

Post by Mark »

I have the original 2 bimini + dodger set up. If you get the original company to make them, check on the type of thread they use for the seams and upgrade if possible. I would also add protective patches to cover the stitching for the 3 frame pockets

The rear bimini is currently not mounted. It makes viewing the mainsail difficult and gets in the way of fishing