Bent D frames (I think)

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
jannpage

Bent D frames (I think)

Post by jannpage »

Newbe here with a new (to me) 2006. I think my D frames have been bent. I think they should be nearly straight except for a sharp about 20 degree bend about a foot from the top end. These have a gentle curve the entire length that is clearly visible but probably only shortens them perhaps 1/2" I can measure the overall length very accurately, but my guess is they should be pretty straight. Can someone confirm for that for me?

I wonder should I spend time straightening them or perhaps weld a straight piece of tubing in with perhaps a bridge or two to strengthen them.

If I read the manual correctly, they really only have a load during the first 6 ft of lifting the mast and the last 6 ft of lowering the mast. If such is the case, I think I am in safe territory to carefully do a trial set the mast. Perhaps for the first time, only try lifting the first 6 feet and without the head sail/furler installed.

Alternatively, I could heat them red and bend back straight and perhaps weld a section of 3/4" SS tubing on either the "top" or "bottom" to strengthen them. I do have access to both acetylene and TIG equipment.

I am getting anxious to go sailing.

And anxious to hear from more experienced heads than mine.

Thanks a lot. I hope in the near future I can pass the help on many times over.
Ron

Re: Bent D frames (I think)

Post by Ron »

The straight sections on frame D should be STRAIGHT. They act as a gin pole and there is a significant load on these stainless tubes during the lowest 25 degrees or so of mast raising / lowering. The weight of the mast is coming straight down these tubes and ANY curvature of the tubes would tend to worsen during this procedure, with possible failure in the end. I'd take them off now and get them straightened before it happens.

You've got to be VERY careful during the mast raising / lowering procedure. ANY lines getting caught or trapped or with not enough free movement could easily pull this frame out of shape. Your best bet is to leave all of the lines loose so that they can move if required. Tie everything up afterwards. And keep a vigilant eye on the mast and lines on the way up or down. There should be one significant increase / decrease at the winch handle when the D frame accepts the load or looses it. Any other increase in force should make you STOP and take a very GOOD look at what's happening.

By the way, I'm dropping my mast early next week for summer storage (we head up to NJ soon). The boat's in Punta Gorda and if you want to take a good look at how it's done, let me know. I recall that you mentioned that you're in Florida also.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
jannpage

Post by jannpage »

Ron
Thanks a lot. That is about what I figured. Your advise is what I needed to make me decide to straighten the frames and perhaps add a 3/4" piece of SS tubing reinforcement.

We are in Pensacola. Full days drive to Punta Gorda but I sure am tempted. Janet an I will talk it over.
Again thank you.

Page and Jan Simonson
wooden

Post by wooden »

Page,

I would echo what Ron said about the raising and lowering of the mast. It almost sounds like someone in the past was not paying attention to the various things that can obstruct the raising and lowering process, and put to much strain on the D frame. The first few times I went through the process I ran into greater tension than I thought I should have. It was tempting to just crank harder on the wench, but I always found some very simple things that were causing the problem. There may be a line twisted or caught which would inhibit free movement of the mast. In one case, a wire at the base of the mast was being pinched in the frame and prevented it from moving freely. I have learned there are about 100 things that can interfere with the process, and it is helpful to have another set of eyes on the mast as you move it. When it works, it is a fantastic design. When it does not, it can be frustrating and potentially dangerous.

Steve
Steve & Mittie Wooden
Bayou Vista TX (Galveston)
"Gnarly's Poop Deck" Hull #340
jannpage

Post by jannpage »

Many thanks to both of you. I re-welded the torn bracket at the bottom of D and straightend it out as best I could (really close). I then slipped by Lowes and bought 2 pieces of 3/4 galvanized steel pipe and cut it to fit and using 6 steel clamps, used that the reinforce the previously "bent " part of D. I lifted the mast last evening part way. It seemed to work well with no flexing at all.So onward. Trying to sort out the rest of the stuff connected with raising the mast. Looks like this boat has been sitting more than a year.

Re topping lift. The manual included on this site on page 9 refers to attaching the topping lift to the boom and says "there are three tines that run through the boom". On all my other boats, the line that attaches to the topping lift has also run through he boom making the topping lift and boom a good backbone for a boom tent. On this boat it does not. Is that the way the factory meant it? I do have 4 lines coming out the aft end of the boom. Outhaul, 2 reefing lines and the fixed topping lift.

Any idea how to replace boom part of the Topping line?

Again thanks a lot

Jan and Page Simonson
Gene

Post by Gene »

The 3 Lines running through the boom are the 1st & 2nd reefing lines and the outhaul. The topping lift is simply secured to the rear of the boom by a shackle. I'm not sure if that answers your question?
Plash Island, AL
USA
jannpage

Post by jannpage »

Gene. Thanks. I finally figured it out. Actually my better half did. She spotted a label on the mast - if we remember correctly, it read "boom lift". I am not sure I have figured the best place to attach it to the boom. But I will keep looking at pictures and eventually I will settle on a method. For now I think I should have a dedicated loop or something to attach the topping lift to the top rearmost point of the boom.

The good news is the mast is up. I now suspect the bent "D" frame was not as big a problem as I thought. I do not think there is nearly as much load on it as I thought so it probably would have been alright just straighened out.

We got a few hours sail using the headsail only. Awesome. This boat runs dead downwind on bare poles almost as fast as most monohulls run with wing on wing.

Again, thanks.

Cheers

Jan and Page
dcarl

Post by dcarl »

I have my boat in Pensacola, it's at Bayou Grande Marina. It's also a 2006. It you what to look at my set up to compare D frames let me know. Would have responded sooner but haven't been on the site for several months.

/David Carl