Diameter of Forestay Wire

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
Keith

Post by Keith »

Hi
This is my first post. I have just bought a used Telstar (hull # 348) and I have dinged the plastic 2400 mm Forestay extrusion for the Furlex Series 200.

My boat is stored on the West Coast (1,000 miles from my home) and I need to find the diameter of the forestay wire. I have no idea if it is 06 mm, 07 mm or 08 mm. The supplier says that I need a sta-lok cone (whatever that is) for the appropriate diameter of wire.

Is there anyone who has access to their Telstar, that could tell me the diameter of wire for their forestay? I presume that it has not changed much on different boats.

Thank-you, Keith Webb
Banff, Alberta, Canada
Dan

Post by Dan »

The extrusion is aluminum, not plastic.

Contact Scott Williman at
Selden Mast Inc.
4668 Franchise St.
N. Charleston, SC 29418, USA
(843) 760-6278
sw {at} seldenus {dot}.com

He can get you everything you need to fix it. :)
Mark

Post by Mark »

Keith

Did you get it fixed? I've bent mine a couple of times. I can still get the sail up and down so perhaps it can still be used?

Mark
Keith

Post by Keith »

I replaced a two metre section in the middle of the forestay. I kinked it when lowering the mast. The kink prevented the Genoa from being hoisted.

The replacement was a bother because, each extruded piece on the forestay and the inside pieces have to go back on in an exact order. There are lots more pieces than it appears. Also the cone that secures the forestay wire has to be painstakingly arraigned. Shortening the forestay wire by an inch does not seem to have created any problems.

I would suggest not replacing a forestay extrusion unless you have to.

Thanks, Keith