Asymmetrical Spinnaker Furler

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
Ron

Asymmetrical Spinnaker Furler

Post by Ron »

I'm starting to think about getting an asym spinnaker furler again. So far, I've looked at the Facnor Asym-FX, Bamar RLG-EVO, Profurl Spinex, and Selden GX. I have not looked at the CDI version - never did like their furlers. Not sure about RollGen either. I'd like to use the chute more often but I single hand maybe 80% of the time and its not a great idea to use one of these big sales alone. The sock won't help much then. I'm going to call a dealer who carries all of them in a day or two to get their opinion.

I looked at the Facnor last year but heard some complaints about the time it takes to roll up the center luff strap before the sail actually starts to furl, and you have a sailmaker modify your sail as well. It rolls up from the middle of the luff.

I saw a demo of the Bamar unit a few weeks ago. Looks interesting. It's a top down version - as are the others here. Not sure about the installation ease. A sailmaker told me that its not that easy to install, but he obviously wanted the business. I don't think the unit comes with the anti-twist luff line.

On paper and video the Profurl Spinex looks very good. It also rolls from the top down. The anti twist line definitely comes in the package and looks fairly easy to install by yourself.

The Selden GX appears to be cheaper than the others, but it may not include the anti twist line. Not sure about installation either.

Has anyone bought or used any of the above (or other makes)? Any comments or thoughts?
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
ggreen

Re: Asymmetrical Spinnaker Furler

Post by ggreen »

Hi Ron,

I found an old post I sent as reagrds a furler for the spinnaker. My boat is 311 and I purchased the assymetrical spinnaker before they later came out with that package for the Telstar.

I purchased the Roll Gen complete with continuous furling line and swivel shackle for the bowsprit. The sail rolls up quite nicely and makes it very easy to store in the anchor locker where I keep the sail bag. The tight roll just makes the sail a giant python that I just coil into the bag. I have not experinecd any damage to the sail. I did purchase from West Marine a couple of rail mount rollers to direct the comtiuous line from the bowsprit to the bow rail stanchion and then back to the cockpit. I use fast pins to remove the rollers so that I can remove the contiuous line and store both the sail and the continuous line in the sailbag to get it out of the way completely. I intend to make a small cut-out in the anchor locker so that the line does not need to be removed.

I am please with the quality and performance of the product. You will need to take a measurement for the luff line from the end of the bowsprit to the top of the mast where the spinnaker line exits the mast. I already did that by sending up a line attached to the spinnaker halyyard and can share those dimensions should anyone need them. This is so much better than a sock especially since I am always singlehanded.

gary g
Ron

Post by Ron »

Gary -

I saw the old posts about your Rollgen, and the Facnor that I was considering. Rollgen apparenly was bought by another company (Romar?),and now may be owned by a 3rd company - Bamar (Italian). At least the Rollgen name was being used by them a few months ago. Their new model is called RLG-EVO and may or may not be the original Rollgen. I gotta figure that out first. I like this RLG-EVO system but not that many places sell it. A few sailmakers at best. You can shop around for most of the others, with apparently better prices.

The Selden GX could be the best system for the price now. The Profurl (now owned by Wichard) is highly rated but at a somewhat higher price. As iI mentioned above, I also like the new Bamar version of what probably was the original Rollgen. I may go to the Miami boat show next month to take a better look at some of these units.

Out of curiosity, is your luff cable steel or anti-twist rope? All of the above are now anti-twist rope.
Ron Marcuse
ggreen

Post by ggreen »

Hi Ron,

I'll be interested in what you decide. I believe the luff is an anti twist line but will check since I store the sails at home during the off season.

Good luck,

gary g
Ron

Post by Ron »

The Profurl Spinex and Facnor Asym-FX are both well over $2,000 now, with the Profurl at around $2,300 discounted. The Selden GX would cost me about $1200 discounted. Best prices I've seen so far are at Mauri Pro Sailing (http://mauriprosailing.com/index.html). They don't carry the Bamar RLGEVO (it apparently replaces the RollGen).

They are top-down furlers except for the Facnor, which rolls from the middle of the luff with a strap sewn to the asym spinnaker. The jury is still deliberating on this method. If the Selden is as good as the others it will be my first choice. I'll decide in a few weeks.

If anyone else is interested maybe we can get a group deal on the price.
Ron Marcuse
Gene

Post by Gene »

The RollGen uses the anti twist line... AFAIK they were the first to develop it... or at least market it
Plash Island, AL
USA
JoeWalling

Post by JoeWalling »

Hi guys,

Long time...

I bought a Magicfurl from Crusader sails. It is a beautiful piece of kit - very well made. It sounds like the Rollgen described above. Endless furling line and drops like a sausage into its own custom made bag which clips onto the guardrail. Rolls from the centre - Crusader fit the leading lines. There are a couple of video clips on their website. Cheers. Joe