Harken vs. Furlex Furlers

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
wingman

Post by wingman »

My Furlex furler is wearing out. It is almost 5 years old and I use it often during races and i sail occasionally even in the winter. I had the local Furlex dealer, also a Harken dealer, come by the boat to fix my latest problem. He tightened and realigned the furler, but said that his "fix" would not last and that eventually the parts would have to be replaced. Later I can go into the gruesome details, but with $200 in parts and $400 in labor he could put it back near normal. However, I have always felt that the furler was sluggish and prone to problems, so I asked if there was an alternative.

He recommends Harken, either the Cruising Unit 1 or the MKIV unit 1. the main difference is that the Cruising is a round, single-slot foil and the MKIV has a flat, dual-slot foil, plus better sail shape while furled due to independent swivels both at the head and tack. The difference is about $400, with the total around $3,400 for the MKIV. The best news is NO LUBRICATION REQUIRED!

If you are just cruising and only go out in light to moderate winds, the Furlex probably works fine. For example, i put up the spinnaker when the wind went from 5 knots and 50 degrees true from port to dead to 10 knots and 120 degrees true from starboard. It then backed about 50 degrees and I could not make my next mark with the spinnaker. I had to pull out the genoa and douse the spinnaker in 15 knot winds. on a long upwind leg we were beating into 3-foot waves and 18 knots. I partially reefed the jib, then pulled it out when the wind dropped to 12 knots. All of this was somewhat hindered by a balking furler and once the whole furler drum and case spun 270 degrees counterclockwise when i did not have enough pressure on the furling line. The dealer affirmed that that was not supposed to happen!

Did I mention that the upwind leg was at night crossing a shipping channel?

Has anyone else had problems with the furler binding as the line collected at the top of the spool or the top swivel not allowing a full deployment? I often have to get the last 180 degrees by hand turning the foil and/or playing the furler line in and out trying to get it to fully deploy.

John
wingman

Post by wingman »

Well, i finally got my new Harken furler installed and I did my first test of it last night. The wind was only blowing about 6 knots, so it was not a stress test, but the new furler passed with flying colors! It is much smoother and faster than the old furler. Also, the drum does not get filled before the sail is totally out, as sometimes occurred with the old furler. Part of the reason for this is that the line is much smaller in diameter. This will make my spinnaker - jib changes much faster and surer during a race, especially at night.

I now have the old furler for sale, in case anyone is still interested, either as a parts bin or to go on a new boat. one problem is I have yet to figure out how to take it apart! the installation document seems to say we can remove one small pin that is a key, but that did not work. I will contract Selden to see if there is a secret method that the documentation does not cover.

John
wingman

Post by wingman »

Well, I really do not remember. When I am racing, it is not my forward velocity that I use, but the VMG.That varies depending on my angle to the next mark, so it is not very interesting unless you also know the bearing to the mark and angle to the wind (relative or true). I use true, but as long as one is consistent, it probably does not matter.

I generally am within 60 degrees when the wind is moderate and the water is flat. the heavier wind and the larger the waves, the more I will foot off, going to 70 degrees.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Silicone is probably not the best lubricant to use in this case, and maybe not at all in a marine environment. Next time try a spray can of McLube SailKote. I spray some on the slides and tracks 3 or 4 times a year.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
escape

Re: Harken vs. Furlex Furlers

Post by escape »

I am also having problems with my furler. The halyard tend more and more to wrap around the furler extrusion. I added a halyard lead but it did not changed the problem. Looking in the Furlex manual I realized that the furler was not properly assembled by PC :x . It is missing the "D" section, instead, the top extrusion is one long piece with no "joining sleeve" nor "distance tube". So the top extrusion is not well supported and rotates poorly.

Does any anyone have spare "joining sleeve" and "distance tube" for sale?
Attachments
Furlex.jpg
Furlex.jpg (38.66 KiB) Viewed 1180 times
Michel
Chenoa, #377