Foresay

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
Cathyalan

Foresay

Post by Cathyalan »

After 2 seasons of Great Lakes sailing we are loving our T28. She does take a beating on the Great Lakes, the waves are short and can be relentless at times. Gentlemen don't go upwind.
Question: Does anybody use an easy ring on the forestay pin instead of the cotter pin that came with the boat? It would be so much easier.

Also, the two bolts that prevent the base of the mast from moving forward after the mast has been raised...the boat came with like 3 inch bolts, it seems to me just enough to get a lock nut on would be sufficient, like a couple of 1" bolts.

What say ye mass collective?

Alan
Cathy & Alan #313
drsm

Foresay

Post by drsm »

Hi Alan,

Regarding the mast step bolts, the factory forgot to supply any, so we just went with the shorter bolts, probably 1" and lock nuts. It appears to only serve as a back-up anyway, so I have been happy with it.

I, too, think the cotter pin is a nuisance. If anyone has a better solution, I'm all for it.

Steve
Cathyalan

Foresay

Post by Cathyalan »

Steve/Mittie

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "...small bolts with a quick release pin..."? Where did you get them?

Alan
Cathy & Alan #313
Cathyalan

Foresay

Post by Cathyalan »

You described a clevis pin. Is the head big enough to prevent the mast base from "slipping" out?

We sail for a week in June, a week in July, and a couple of weeks in August so we trailer the boat and put the mast up and down each time. Making it easier is our goal and the cotter pin on the forestay is a big pain. Did you find a stainless steel brake pin? Where?

Alan
Cathy & Alan #313
Cathyalan

Foresay

Post by Cathyalan »

I got clevis pins 3/8 10mm for the mast base but couldn't get quick release pins so I went with stainless steel hitch/hairpin cotters from Fastenal. Also got hitch/hairpin cotters for the forestay. Need 3 bought 6. Funny how stuff falls off boats. I live on a lake and have a Hobie 18 and a MC Scow and have had numerous other boats over the years. I'll bet I have over $1000.00 worth of stainless steel at the bottom of the lake around the pier which is somewhat weedy. If they could figure out a magnet for stainless steel I could recoup my investments LOL.

Alan
Cathy & Alan #313