Glossary of rigging terms for Telstar

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
simonhayes

Post by simonhayes »

I am seeking to find a clear definition of the different shrouds and how they relate to the Telstar

For example - Cap shrouds are those that go to the top of the mast ( or highest on the mast). Does that include the whole length or just the top section ? The lowest section of the main shrouds on the Telstar are thicker than the section above the first spreader - do they still count as the Cap shroud ? I assume so from the conversation here but it not clear.

I have hunted a round on the net but can't come up with a good glossary for upper, middle, lower, cap shrouds etc - does anyone have one ? Perhaps we should create one for the Telstar - diagram anyone ?

thanks

Simon
Ex-Telstar 28 Owner
San Francisco Bay, CA
wingman

Post by wingman »

I had the same lack of luck in my search. However, I assume that the three sections are all the cap shroud and only the bottom one is adjustable. When I had PCI do it after a year of sailing, that is all that they adjusted.

Wingman
Ron

Post by Ron »

In terms of shrouds, cap and upper are the same thing. It's the total length, and not just one section. I think the British prefer the term cap. If you've got a double spreader rig like the T2, then the intermediate is the next one down. The lower shroud (stainless tubing in our case) is at the bottom. I'm trying to recall my boat (haven't seen it in about 5 months). I think my upper goes thru both spreaders. It does not end and start over at each spreader. I recall the intermediate starting at the lower spreader and it can be tuned by getting up there. But, this is again from memory (which is not as good as it used to be). Every other boat I've owned had all of the shrouds going down to the chain plate.

There must be dozens of good books which explain all of this technology. But remember that the Telstar is not a normal boat. Tuning the rig is slightly diferent on other sailboats.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"