Garhauer line control genoa cars

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
Mark G

Post by Mark G »

Guido was the one who forgot to note the configuration. Oh Well.

When I install mine, I am thinking about keeping the shaeffer cars in the last hole before the jam cleat to give a better angle to the winch and less rubbing on the cabin side. Thoughts?

If Garhauer made a traveler kit, I'd buy it. I've thought about doing the Shaeffer mod, but I haven't gotten to it yet and I like the Garhauer equipment.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Adds friction and doesn’t really help them lead fair IMHO. The sheets should still be leading back to the blocks on the cockpit pushpit railings and then forward to the winches.
Mark G wrote:Guido was the one who forgot to note the configuration. Oh Well.

When I install mine, I am thinking about keeping the shaeffer cars in the last hole before the jam cleat to give a better angle to the winch and less rubbing on the cabin side. Thoughts?

If Garhauer made a traveler kit, I'd buy it. I've thought about doing the Shaeffer mod, but I haven't gotten to it yet and I like the Garhauer equipment.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Mark -

I was thinking more of having them do just the car on the traveler. The non swivel Harken blocks attached to the car and the swiveling Ronstan fiddles with cam cleat on the reinforced stanchion are absolutely perfect for the job. I must have looked at a dozen blocks from 4 manufacturers (including Garhauer) before I picked these. No need to replace the Schaeffer mainsheet triple block assembly either - it would significantly raise the cost where you don't need the new parts.

I'd probably have to send them my car so they can see what I did. It's got to fit the raised and curved Schaeffer track. My problem is that I use the boat all year long. Maybe some good photo's and a drawing or two. I'd definitely get them to enlarge the top mounted bracket on the car so that grinding the bolt head would not be necessary. Note that PCI had to grind also - the Schaeffer triple block is a heavier design than the stock Schaeffer car, and the bigger / heavier car won't take the radius on the track. The clevis pin on the heavier triple block will not make it past the bolt head unless part of the head is removed.

What I did works absolutely pefectly, but getting a better car specifically built for this application would be an improvement. If anyone is confused - note that this discussion concerns my line control traveler, not the genoa car system. Photo below.

Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
gary green

Post by gary green »

I decided to make a curved block to the contour of the curved traveler track to keep the lines low and make access to the seats and back of the boat wihtout a possible trip factor. I made the block out of starboard material. When this starboard is milled it provides for a very slick and smooth surface that will prevent any abrasion to the line. I attached some photos.

gary g.
gary green

Post by gary green »

I've included a drawing with some dimensions and would have manufactured the block differently. The two top pieces in the photo were fabricated after I realized the initial height needed to be higher but yet out of the way of the back of the tiller. If I made the same block again It would be one continuous piece and I would rout out the line capture area on the two sides as part of the whole block. The system works well and I have not had any problems. It is now nice to be able to adjust the traveler in any type of weather without risking my fingers.

gary g.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Using the starboard block to hold / catch the control line is a good idea, but in my case I didn't see the need for it. There is very little, if any, contact between the lines and tiller handle. I may move the outsides down a drop too. I also don't see the problem of stepping above the control lines when going out to the transom - it's maybe 4 or 5 inches above the seats at the outside edges of the track now - and less if I move the outside mounts down an inch.

One thing that can be done if we approach Garhauer to build the car. They can make a small stainless curved tubular fence, that bolts to the fiberglass, to catch and hold the lines behind the tiller.
Ron Marcuse
Mark G

Post by Mark G »

Ron,
re the genoa: What blocks on the cockpit pushpit railings? Mine wasn't rigged that way. Can you post a photo?
Dan

Post by Dan »

Mark—

The Genoa sheets are supposed to come back to the blocks on the stern pushpit, as seen in this photo—where the block is in the center of the photo... with the genny sheet running through it.

Mark G wrote:Ron,
re the genoa: What blocks on the cockpit pushpit railings? Mine wasn't rigged that way. Can you post a photo?
Ron

Post by Ron »

Mark -

Dan's photo shows the setup. It's a Schaeffer block attached to a Johnson Pulpit eye that's strapped around the vertical tube. Are you sure you don't have that? I can't believe that they could have sent a boat out without this. Maybe you meant that Garhauer did not supply something like this with the genoa car kit? This is what the eye looks like (same one that I used on the traveller) -

Ron Marcuse
gary green

Post by gary green »

Back to the genoa control lines. I had used the Schaeffer system as one of the first upgrades on my Telstar back in 2005. I probably would have done the Garhauer if I had known more back then. In any event my systems has worked well and I use a continuous line with cleats by the cockpit towards the stern of the boat instead of the bungee cord system. In this way the slides on the cars operate more effectively.

gary g.