Garhauer line control genoa cars

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
Ron

Post by Ron »

We designed a 3 to 1 purchase ball bearing line control genoa car system that is being manufactured by Garhauer Marine Hardware, one of the best suppliers in the industry. The first one was shipped to me for testing and evaluation and I'll report back after I install it. I should have it in a few days. It's custom made for the Telstar which has very little room between the genoa track and cabin side and windows.

With a pin controlled genoa car and some wind you would normally have to tack the boat to adjust the position of the car while the sheet is loose - possibly again and again to get it right. The line control will let you adjust the sheeting angle on the genoa on the leeward side of the boat, while under pressure, from the cockpit. No fuss, no scraped knuckles or lost fingers - just pull or release the line and the car will move.

You can read more about it in the members only section.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Dan

Post by Dan »

The new Garhauer system is similar to the one I installed on my boat at the beginning of last season, which is also by Garhauer and looks like this:
Ron

Post by Ron »

Dan -

As you know, this system does not fit all of the boats - and, at best, it may rub a drop when the cars move or during installation. The new one should fit everything. You can probably swap yours if you want to. Garhauer is very good about these things. Best customer service and warranty around. And trying calling Harken or ?? to ask them to manufacture custom ball bearing sliding genoa and fixed cars for maybe a dozen boats (I'm guessing that's how many Telstars will wind up with it).

This is a stock Garhauer photo of your system. New one will have cars that are lower and narrower to clear the cabin and windows.

Ron Marcuse
Dan

Post by Dan »

Ron—

Yes, I am perfectly aware of that. That’s why I said it was similar to the one pictured, not the same as the one pictured. :)
Ron wrote:Dan -

As you know, this system does not fit all of the boats - and, at best, it may rub a drop when the cars move or during installation. The new one should fit everything. You can probably swap yours if you want to. Garhauer is very good about these things. Best customer service and warranty around. And trying calling Harken or ?? to ask them to manufacture custom ball bearing sliding genoa and fixed cars for maybe a dozen boats (I'm guessing that's how many Telstars will wind up with it).

This is a stock Garhauer photo of your system. New one will have cars that are lower and narrower to clear the cabin and windows.

Ron

Post by Ron »

I installed the custom made Garhauer genoa car system and it will fit every Telstar 28 and it works absolutely pefect. The 3 to 1 purchase is more than enough to easily move the car around. No drama, no tacking required - just pull or ease the line and the car moves. Ordering instructions are in the Members Only section.

Ron Marcuse
Ron

Post by Ron »

I'm curious as to how many owners have actually ordered the custom Garhaauer genoa car system made for the Telstar 28. I'm not sure how long they will hold our $318 group price. They implied that it would be at least 6 months, but ??? If I know how many owners want it, I may be able to talk to them about keeping this open longer. By the way, you'll be saving at least 10 times what a one year memership costs ($10).
Ron Marcuse
Dan

Post by Dan »

Ron—

It is actually a very significant savings. Have you talked to Will or Tony about having them update the boat to have this as a stock component for the production line? It would really make sense to do that IMHO, considering the cost of the system. Also, if PCI were ordering them on a regular basis, there would be no reason for Garhauer not to honor the deal longer term.

My Garhauer setup was over twice the cost of this one, at a bit over $700 vs. $318:

1 E-Z Glide Adjustable Genoa Car System SJ-1-1/4 $96.80 $96.80
2 E-Z Glide Adjustable Genoa Car System E-Z G-2UB $302.50 $605.00

Granted, my setup gives a bit more leverage, but it really isn’t necessary.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Dan -

Will is aware of it and is interested. Not sure if he's contacted Garhauer yet. If our price is $318, I'm sure PCI would wind up paying less. It really can't cost that much more than the relatively expensive non ball bearing Schaeffer cars. In terms of being easy to use, there is absolutely no comparison. It's nearly impossible to move the loaded Schaeffer car in 15 knots or better. Just pull or release the control line with this setup.
Ron Marcuse
Mark G

Post by Mark G »

I have ordered the cars. Unfortunately, someone at Garhauer forgot to note down what they sent so I had to send them your pictures. They've been great and I should be receiving them soon. If there is any way to encourge PCI and the other owners to support these folks I'm for it.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Mark -

That's funny. It's probably best to speak to either Bill or Guido. Bill (Felgenhauer) owns the company, and Guido is the one who actually built the custom cars. Both are familiar with this setup.

I have a hunch that PCI will use this design too - at least as an option. Assuming it costs maybe $150 more than the Schaeffer cars, that's money well spent. I'll try get them to do the line control traveler too - maybe with a Garhauer version of the car I built. Both things dramatically change the way you can sail the boat. I hated using the pin control blocks on the traveler (and didn't most of the time) and rarely bothered to change the genoa sheeting angle. In any sort of wind it was too much of a hassle - first tack the boat to adjust the ex-windward car (and then guess at the best car position).
Ron Marcuse