Garhauer line control genoa cars

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
Mark G

Post by Mark G »

Ron, Dan,

I got the blocks with the boat and the pulpit attachment may be there, but they weren't rigged and I never knew to use them. I only used the schaeffer car near the back of the track and went straight to the winch. Now that I know about this, I'll look the next time I visit the boat and figure out which setup to use. Thanks.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Dan -

Some of the pictures seem to have the bottom cropped off - they are wide and short, with perhaps half missing. I imagine that they are being submitted as "attachments" as opposed to pasting an "img" command pointing somewhere else. I'm going to "attach" one of my previous "img" photo's to test this out. If the whole picture is there, there's got to be another problem (maybe the size of the file?).

First attempt - file was too big (295K). 2nd attempt will be 142K.

Yup - photo lost about 1/3 from the bottom. The others must have more than 142K and less than the max (thought I saw 240k or so). I imagine that at around 90 to 100K we'd start seeing the whole picture.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
Dan

Post by Dan »

Ron—

I don’t think the photos are being cropped... they’re showing up in scrolling windows...but they appear to be complete.
Ron wrote:Dan -

Some of the pictures seem to have the bottom cropped off - they are wide and short, with perhaps half missing. I imagine that they are being submitted as "attachments" as opposed to pasting an "img" command pointing somewhere else. I'm going to "attach" one of my previous "img" photo's to test this out. If the whole picture is there, there's got to be another problem (maybe the size of the file?).

First attempt - file was too big (295K). 2nd attempt will be 142K.

Yup - photo lost about 1/3 from the bottom. The others must have more than 142K and less than the max (thought I saw 240k or so). I imagine that at around 90 to 100K we'd start seeing the whole picture.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Mark—

Glad we could clear that up for you. That should make the genoa sheets run a bit more freely and the lead to the winches fair.
Mark G wrote:Ron, Dan,

I got the blocks with the boat and the pulpit attachment may be there, but they weren't rigged and I never knew to use them. I only used the schaeffer car near the back of the track and went straight to the winch. Now that I know about this, I'll look the next time I visit the boat and figure out which setup to use. Thanks.
Ron

Post by Ron »

To Dan -

You're right. I'm spoiled by my new 26 inch lcd monitor and never realized that the image and scroll bars ran over on the right side. Didn't expect this - everything else fits.
Ron Marcuse
tricruiser

Post by tricruiser »

Hello Guys,

I'd like to buy the system from Garhauer, but they do not ship outside USA.
To avoid any mistake by the local distributor, would be nice to know the Catalog numbers making the Custom Telstar package.
Would anybody have those Catalog numbers?

Many Thanks

Tricruiser
Ron

Post by Ron »

The Garhauer genoa line control setup was a specially designed system made for the 28, and note that it does not appear to fit all of the boats. As I recall, one owner had to return his because his track was installed closer to the cabin and side windows. This may be a problem for the earlier boats or perhaps a few where they incorrectly installed the tracks. Not sure. Dan's system was a little different and his also rubbed a drop, but mainly because of the taller and wider blocks mounted to the cars. The one I had them build for me uses fiddle blocks welded to the cars to lower the height.

First thing to do would be to measure the distance between your track and cabin / windows in a few places and I can then compare it to my boat. I believe that we had some specs in the member section as well. If it looks like it will fit, we can talk this shipping problem over with Garhauer. I don't think you can order custom parts from any of their dealers. There are no real part numbers for the kit. I expect to see the owner (Bill Felgenhauer) in Miami in a few days and can talk it over with him then.

If you really want to improve the boats hardware, you may want to install a line control traveler as well. That's probably the best modification I've ever made to mine. There are many days when I don't even touch the main sheet after some initial adjustment. The parts are also listed in the members section, and include stuff from Schaeffer, Harken and Ronstan to make it work.
Ron Marcuse
tricruiser

Post by tricruiser »

Hello Ron,

Many Thanks, Will check the measurements. (I might be able to use the Ronstan products available here. Will check it all.)
I agree that the main sheet traveller is a significant improvement! I kind of find it difficult to implement because of the geometry of the area but I will look at all the posts and plan the upgrade.
Tricruiser
:D