Facnor ASM-FX asymmetric furler

Information and posts about the rigging and sails.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Has anyone bought, used or looked at the Facnor asymmetric furling system (ASM-FX)? It looks like it could be a reasonable way to fly the asymmetric short or single handed, and from the cockpit as well. No need for a sock. The sail apparently starts rolling up from the middle of the luff to take care of all of the extra material there before the top and bottom get moving. There's a small video on the Facnor web site showing a few sets and takedowns (these words probably don't apply here). It looks very interesting.

I'm planning to take a good look at it either at the Annapolis or Miami boat show. I'd rather use the 600 square foot asymmetric than the 400 square foot screecher down wind.
Ron Marcuse
Telstar 28 #359 "Tri-Power"
gary green

Post by gary green »

I have a roller furling system for my 600ft Asymmetrical spinnaker. The roller furler was manufactured by Veco of North America and the product was called a Roll-Gen. I'm not sure whether they are still in business but my system has a continuous furling line led to the cockpit. It was one of the best purchases I made because it was so easy to install and use especially when you are single handling the boat. They also had a great video on their website but I can not seem to find them. It came as a kit which was easy to assemble and install. Another company I looked into was CDI but I decided on the roll-gen.

gary g.
Ron

Post by Ron »

It's made by a company called Romar now. Not sure what happened to Veco.

http://www.romarbv.nl/Romar%20Bamar%20Roll%20Gen.htm

But this is not exactly the same thing as the Facnor.The Roll-Gen seems to cause the sail to roll in from the top down. The Facnor video shows the asymmetric starting to roll up about half-way up the luff. There's a 2nd line on the Facnor in the middle of the luff, controlled by the furling line, which seems to get it to start rolling at that point. I would think that the middle is the better location because of the extra material there. The Roll-Gen specs make no mention of any 2nd line.

Based on your experience, how well does it work? Is the top down rolling causing any damage to the sail? What did you pay for it? The Facnor seems to cost either $1100 or $1500 (plus options) depending on which model the Telstar would need. Boat's less than 38 feet, but asymmetric is greater than 550 square feet.

Addendum - The company name is probably Bamar. Romar could be a dealer. The video on this site looks interesting. I'll look at both systems. Middle of luff may not be that important.
Ron Marcuse
Ron

Post by Ron »

Update -

Found this on a cruisers forum -

"The Facnor I have used was almost exactly like the Profurl (endless line). Used on a light fast boat with a sprit and a pretty deep genaker. The difference was that it utilised triangle attachments with twin luff lines. This system was the neatest, fastest and easiest of the three. (I believe by now Facnor utilises a low-torsion hi tec line in place of the twin luff ropes)."
Ron Marcuse
gary green

Post by gary green »

I paid $1,577 for the Roll Gen complete with continuous furling line and swivel shackle for the bowsprit. The sail rolls up quite nicely and makes it very easy to store in the anchor locker where I keep the sail bag. The tight roll just makes the sail a giant python that I just coil into the bag. I have not experinecd any damage to the sail. I did purchase from West Marine a couple of rail mount rollers to direct the comtiuous line from the bowsprit to the bow rail stanchion and then back to the cockpit. I use fast pins to remove the rollers so that I can remove the contiuous line and store both the sail and the continuous line in the sailbag to get it out of the way completely.

I am please with the quality and performance of the product. You will need to take a measurement for the luff line from the end of the bowsprit to the top of the mast where the spinnaker line exits the mast. I already did that by sending up a line attached to the spinnaker halyyard and can share those dimensions should anyone need them. This is so much better than a sock especially since I am always singlehanded.

gary g.